Proxy / webcache / firewall

TheSpatulaOfLove

Proxy / webcache / firewall

Postby TheSpatulaOfLove » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Since the core functions of Amahi server require changes to the router and 24x7 uptime, I think it would be helpful to add some of the following items:

--Proxy/Webcache - Squid? This could be marketed as accelerating web browsing for the local clients - also could be a great selling point for the 2 port plug computer for transparent cache.

--Content Filters This is becoming more common in consumer routers, but the implementations have been bleh - Some of the linux based versions I've seen have been nicer.

--Firewall (m0n0wall?) Since it's on all the time, why not have better network protection?

My apologies if I misquoted packages or distros - I'm a n00b, just looking to make Amahi better.

TSOL

moredruid
Expert

Re: Proxy / webcache / firewall

Postby moredruid » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:04 am

a proxy (either filtering/caching or both) would be nice and not too hard to set up.
a firewall however means that you would be routing ALL traffic through your hda making it the bottleneck especially with all traffic going over 1 NIC.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

TheSpatulaOfLove

Re: Proxy / webcache / firewall

Postby TheSpatulaOfLove » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:09 pm

I don't necessarily view the firewall option as a bottleneck, provided the second nic is added. Considering the speed of most users (not you lucky Dutch guys with gobs of cheap bandwidth) internet connections, 100Mb nics would handle the load just fine - those with Gigabit get added speed to their HDAs.

Besides, if the firewall was an OPTION rather than a requirement, it can be then used single or dual nic depending on the user's desired level of management. Don't want to use firewall? Only need single nic.

Have you tried implementing Squid on these? I'd love to give it a shot, but not sure if I could enable transparent mode on a single nic, considering DHCP is being handled by Amahi. Trying to think this through...