Remote Digital Appliance

birger

Remote Digital Appliance

Postby birger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:57 am

I would like to have some kind of remote/satellite/proxy server added to the project. RDA (Remote Digital Appliance)?
By this I mean a server to run at a remote (even mobile) location, automatically offering the same configurations as the home server, and transparent caching of data. The use for this would be to enable access from multiple computers at remote locations without having to set all of them up for VPN.

What the Amahi project would need to support:
- VPN connection from the RDA to the HDA.
- Offering all services from the HDA as a proxy.
- Caching of data being used.Especially for streaming media.

The simplest case would be a small server to be used at remote sites where you already have internet connection. The RDA would then transform this network into an extension of your home network.

Personally, I would love to have a RDA that only needs a 12V hookup offering connectivity through USB dongles. A small flash disk / USB memory stick for booting, a lot of memory and a memory file system for data caching. Set up a firewall, and add a mobile broadband dongle as well as a wlan dongle and you have a complete router/access point that stretches the home network to the car! Then add thin clients within the car. Media players for the kids. Mapping applications for the driver. The Amahi RDA provides the infrastructure.

I am sure the RDA will spark a lot of ideas!

--
birger

cpg
Administrator

Re: Remote Digital Appliance

Postby cpg » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:54 pm

nice idea!

one part of this is like what people call a MID (mobile internet device) these days. or a netbook too.

i know i could have used something like this while on a quick road trip recently :)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

relrobber

Re: Remote Digital Appliance

Postby relrobber » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:45 pm

as far as the mobile RDA that you are talking about, you could just put Amahi on a mini-ITX system that uses a 12V power supply. the hardware aspect isn't that hard.

i think the Amahi-as-RDA would strike a chord mostly for those who would use it as a SOHO appliance. all you would need is to setup the 'RDA' as a VPN client to the HDA at the home office, and use it as a proxy for the remote computers. great idea!
Home HDA: Sony VAIO PCV-RX560, 1.7GHz P4, 320MB RAM

Managed HDA: 512MB RAM