Got IT
No votes
Don't Care
No votes

Total votes: 0
chaosdesign

App Sugestion : ThinLinc Remote Desktop

Postby chaosdesign » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:10 am

HI guys I am looking at integrating ThinLinc (https://www.cendio.com/products/thinlinc/) into my HDA. Its packed with features and you would find a use or two for some older systems that can't handle modern Applications

ThinLinc is a Linux Terminal Server solution. ThinLinc is used to
virtualize desktops and applications by the use of Server Based Computing.

I have checked it out for system requirements and it looks like its going to work, I Would love to see this as a one click install In Amahi.

The licensing for it is free up to 10 users, which for Amahi users would be more than enough.

Amahi user
ChaosDesign

joeaverge

Re: App Sugestion : ThinLinc Remote Desktop

Postby joeaverge » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:19 pm

Thought, Could the application Publishing features of this allow applications without a native web interface to be included in the Amahi framework?

Something like CrashPlan could be published in a web browser using the java thin client.

Similar java client is already being used in VNC.

JoeAverge

chaosdesign

Postby chaosdesign » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:07 am

Thought, Could the application Publishing features of this allow applications without a native web interface to be included in the Amahi framework?

Something like CrashPlan could be published in a web browser using the java thin client.

Similar java client is already being used in VNC.

JoeAverge
It includes customizable client software where all they have to do is install and add user-name and password and that's it found here. There is a client for Win, Mac, and Linux + these which are available on ISO (Fujitsu-Siemens Futro, Neoware, Wyse, HP, Thinstation and VXL Itona)

but if you want a Java based client, i don't see why it wouldn't be possible so long as the java supports in full the protocol used by ThinLinc.

I am looking into it to see if it is possible to do it.

chaosdesign

Postby chaosdesign » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:18 am

here is a excerpt from the Thin Linc whitepaper Found here (PDF)
Clients
A system for Server Based Computing should be accessible to different kinds of workstations
and terminals. The following types of terminals can access ThinLinc:
• Fat client: a workstation.
• Thin terminal: small diskless and fanless hardware with ThinLinc client installed.
• Thinned client: older computer which is used as a ”thin” terminal. For this purpose, Cendio has created the ThinLinc Client Operating System (TLCOS), a tailored Linux distribution which makes a thin terminal out of an older PC. Another possibility is to use the packaging of ThinStation (http://www.thinstation.org/) that does the same. The most important difference is that TLCOS is installed on the harddisk and ThinStation boots from the network.
• X terminal: Specialized client. These require certain special solutions in the server, and some of the advantages of ThinLinc are diminished, for instance the low bandwidth requirement.
Web browser client: for web browsers with Java.
I am going to test an install on my DEV server running Amahi this weekend and see how it goes,

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:11 am

I like the idea - a number of requests we get have been LTSP over and over. I am not sure exactly what it is, but clearly people want it!

if you can document your steps in the wiki, we (the rest) can help get it done!

[I cannot seem to be able to vote. what's up with that?!]
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

chaosdesign

Postby chaosdesign » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:43 am

I like the idea - a number of requests we get have been LTSP over and over. I am not sure exactly what it is, but clearly people want it!
Ahh yes the Linux Terminal Server Project, I have looked at it a few times but as of yet it is not at a stage where it is easy to install or use by the Average user. All config is done by the .conf file.
It is more of a thin client manager than a Terminal server like say win 2k3 TS where you can use a client of your choice.

Thinlinc has a web based config which funnily enough slots in as a module to Webmin, so half the battle is easy as pie

I will keep a (mostly Full) log on how i go with this (of which i will include my mistakes) and publish something in the next week or two on how to do it.