Making amahi a HDA appliance

rickster

Making amahi a HDA appliance

Postby rickster » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:09 am

One of the major strengths I have found with linux is the ability to use it to create tailor made solutions or appliances. Linux appliances, make installation easier (especially for newbies) and reduce problems.

I would like to see Amahi HDA become more of an appliance similiar to XBMC live, LinuxMCE or Vortexbox. By integrating Amahi with a linux distro, users would have a simpler, quicker install. With this method, there would also be no distro compatibility problems and even tweaks could be made to improve performance.

mehmetb

Re: Making amahi a HDA appliance

Postby mehmetb » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 pm

That's an appealing thought, but I would not really like to dedicate my hardware to Amahi only. I really like the fact that my server is *also* a Linux box, which I can use for other stuff.

For what it's worth, I also think installation of Amahi is already very simple, and I don't see how the appliance mode can make things simpler, except for reducing the installation time...

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:55 am

It's an interesting thought.

It's not clear in my mind what the implications of being an "appliance" are. Can you elaborate?

Is it that is only runs on a VM?

Or partner with hardware vendors?

Those would be good as far as support for a unique system configurations (we're already somewhat hammered by support).

As mehmetb spoke, it's appealing. I will not repeat the arguments. Amahi is a small team, which makes it hard, unless we can get some commercial support, or sponsors, or commercial services, or ... ?

Personally, I am interested, so that Amahi is self-sustainable, so ideas that also contribute to that are welcome.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rickster

Postby rickster » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Sorry I took so long posting a reply but I got caught up with work and forgot to check back.

cpg,

The term appliance is generally used in turn key solutions that are simple to install and operate. A simple appliance would be like a DVD player. A DVD player is dedicated to one purpose (playing DVD's). It requires very little installation or configuration from the user. The learning curve to operate it is therefore very small.

>>Is it that is only runs on a VM? Or partner with hardware vendors?

No, all the linux appliances that I am familiar with are either, a combination of Linux OS and custom designed software than can be installed on just about any hardware OR Linux OS and custom designed sofware installed on a pre-configured hardware package.

Partnering with a hardware vendor I guess would be an option similiar to the Boxee appliance. I do believe however, that a better first stage would be to setup only the software side of the appliance. The hardware would be up to the individuals to setup.

An example of this is XBMC Live. If your not familiar with this, XBMC Live is basically a copy of XBMC integrated with a linux distibution that is designed to run from CD or USB stick on just about any hardware configuration. It does not even require installation to a hard drive. Another good example of an appliance is Vortexbox. A commercial example would be Nitix or Lotus Foundations Start.

I also understand that resources are scarce, but just though I would make the suggestion. :D

mehmetb,

I understand what your saying, but a separate version that includes no OS could still be made available for individuals such as you. An Amahi appliance however, does have advantages. Quicker install, easier updates, and a larger user base.

Although I too like to tinker, there are sometimes when you just want it to work without spending a lot of time.

(BTW, I have refrained from posting links since I'm not sure if it is allowed in the forum?)

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:56 pm

"just about any hardware" ... little pesky 4 words :)

there ain't any way a small team like us can do that ... realistically speaking.

however, we can rely on a major distro designed for manageability like fedora or ubuntu, which is what we're doing. by your definition, we're close to a (software) appliance.

the hardware game, that is different.

ps: posting links is ok
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1