Nut

toothandnail

Nut

Postby toothandnail » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 am

:) Good topic....

I have an APC Smart UPS. In the past, its been linked to my one remaining OS/2 machine, and I've had signals sent over the network to control shutdown of other machines in the event of a power failure and the UPS batteries getting low.

My OS/2 machine is currently doing duty as an Amahi server, until I can get the new motherboard installed in my DIY NAS box. So, at the moment, the UPS isn't connected to anything. In a power failure, once its batteries get low, everything will go down.....

I've installed nut on the Amahi box, but at the moment, it can only be adminstered directly from the Amahi machine, and I've currently no mechanism in place for signalling other connected machines to shut down in the event of a power failure.

I would like to see Nut become part of Amahi, with some provision to signal other network machines in the case of a power outage. I'm quite happy to do some testing, but it would need some sort of monitoring facility so that the UPS could be checked from the Amahi dashboard.

Anyone else interested?

Paul.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Nut

Postby cpg » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:18 am

cool topic :)

is there any web interface for that?

doing something from scratch is not feasible in the small team we have...
don't want to reinvent the wheel either.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

toothandnail

Postby toothandnail » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:16 pm

:) Thought it was rather special...
Don't know. I've never used it. I'll do some checking. I suspect there should be, since it is designed for net use. I'll let you know.
I can understand that. I'll see what I can find. I do need to get it working for some of my SME users as well, so I guess I'd better find out as much as I can about nut.

I'll also need to work out some way of signalling over the network. While it may be useful for an Amahi machine on its own, it becomes a lot more useful if it can be used to shut down other networked machines when needed.

Paul.

toothandnail

Postby toothandnail » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:29 am

Sorry - took longer to check than I anticipated.

The answer is yes and no. Yes, there is a web interface. Unfortunately, the Fedora package doesn't include the cgi or any of the other web support files. Looks like I'll have to build it myself.

:) I wanted to learn how to build RPMs, so I guess this is my first oppertunity. I'll get back to you once I've managed to get a reasonably compliant package put together. May take a little while - most of my packaging experience is with Slackware packages.

I should be able to build both i686 and X_64 packages - my Amahi box is (currently) a 32-bit AMD (Sempron, I think) and I've got a 64-bit install of Fedora on my laptop.

I think the Windows client is available in binary form, and I'll have to work out something else for my OS/2 box.

Paul.

vk7hch

Postby vk7hch » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:31 am

Has there been any progress on this, I wish to monitor a Powerwave 5115 UPS connected by USB.

Thanks
Chris
HDA: ML110G3 p4 3.0GHz - 2Gb Ram - 1 x 300Gb HDD, 2 x 1.5Tb HDD
Loving it :-)