Backup program: Amanda Community Edition

erechm

Backup program: Amanda Community Edition

Postby erechm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:59 am

I'd like to suggest the Amanda community edition backup software.

Thanks!

pjcrux

Re: Backup program: Amanda Community Edition

Postby pjcrux » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:39 am

Great suggestion! In case you did not know, we have a more formal suggestion page (login required), where you can submit pointers for apps suitable for Amahi.

We've been looking for software for a long while now that is beneficial for backups. The topic of peer to peer backups or cloud backups has been of recent discussion in the irc chat. There are many proponents of crashplan in our community and packaging is underway for that application.

After looking at the Amanda website (for the community edition) Fedora 12 is not a supporting operating system yet. Currently Amahi5 resides upon F12. We'll keep our eyes on it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

erechm

Re: Backup program: Amanda Community Edition

Postby erechm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Great suggestion! In case you did not know, we have a more formal suggestion page (login required), where you can submit pointers for apps suitable for Amahi.

We've been looking for software for a long while now that is beneficial for backups. The topic of peer to peer backups or cloud backups has been of recent discussion in the irc chat. There are many proponents of crashplan in our community and packaging is underway for that application.

After looking at the Amanda website (for the community edition) Fedora 12 is not a supporting operating system yet. Currently Amahi5 resides upon F12. We'll keep our eyes on it.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Thanks! And no I didn't know about the other suggestion page so I will check it out. I've read a little about crashplan too, but have not tried it yet. I'll have to research it more. And thanks for pointing out that Amanda doesn't work on F12 yet because I was thinking of trying to install it on my own. :?