Samba Recycle Bins

riff

Samba Recycle Bins

Postby riff » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:20 pm

Hey all.

I think this would be a good option, esp for home users. You can edit the smb.conf, but a one click option, with some sort of purging schedule (similar to sme server) would put Amahi ahead in terms of home user friendliness, out of the box.

oh did I mention Amahi rocks?

Riff.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Samba Recycle Bins

Postby cpg » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:25 am

actually, we have a feature in testing that supports this type of feature.

you can install this rpm (as root, with rpm -Uvh <url>): http://alpha.amahi.org/tmp/hda-platform ... noarch.rpm

in the shares area you will see an area called "Extra parameters" ... see the extra parameters wiki page.

you can add

Code: Select all

vfs objects = recycle
to enable recycle bins for that share!

i think you may need to reconnect (not sure) to see the recycling bin. please report.

if this works well, we can later add it with just one click. please click and report back here!

thanks for the kind words!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

marcel

Postby marcel » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:49 am

I totally agree. This is a very nice function for Amahi. Later a check box to enable the recycle bin function for every share separately. Good idea!
My HDA cpu: E1400 2Ghz; motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H; memory: Team 2Gb DDR2; 200GB OS HDD, 2x western digital GP 1TB storage HDDs; case: Antec P182

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:15 pm

i tested this feature on a share called Backups. and it works, in that there is folder called .recycle/ in the base directory of the share.

however, from windows (windows 7), i cannot see any signs that there is a recycle bin there, nor i see any way to empty the recycle bin.

i can access it as \\hda\Backup\.recycle, but that's really not that user friendly.

looks like this feature is like that ... i was expecting windows to expose this somehow. silly me :)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

riff

Postby riff » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Hey there,

You wont see the recycle bins in windows 7 - they are a hidden directory - but you can see them on your amahi box. There are ways to make them visible, but your mileage will vary as of now, I can't remember how...

cpg - I will test it for you.