hda.com

bsk

Re: hda.com

Postby bsk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:47 am

One thing I would like to add to this, and noticed that you turned off your server at night.

If you turn off your server, and DHCP on the router is OFF, you will not be able to reach the internet as there is nothing in place to give out a DHCP lease IP address to you. The router is turned off so it says "He has something in place to do this for me now." and since the HDA is off, its no longer giving out an IP (the client still has the one from when it was on, but those expire and need new ones, thats when you loose them). Leaving your HDA on all the time is the best bet with no problems, that is unless you leave DHCP on on your router, but then there is some functionality inside Amahi that you miss.

Looks like the main problem here was turning off the HDA, DNS was working properly, but seems DHCP was not giving out a good lease at the time, or just picked up the old one where it left off and was not connecting to the server itself.
Having problems with connecting to the internet? Try the Network Troubleshooter.

Not sure what your Gateway IP? Head on over to the Find Your Gateway IP page to find out easily.

radioz

Postby radioz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:05 am

joeaverage:
Thanks. That's the simplest description of how DNS works that I've seen.

I've had a vague understanding of DNS for a long time, but it was helpful to see a simple description of the lookup process. Good work.

radioz

taa

Postby taa » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:31 pm

I re-setup my Amahi with the domain "home.local" I still get the occational problem when the alternate suffixes get added but I do not get the Open DNS errors.
Joeaverge
I'm probably going to keep my router as the DHCP server and use Amahi for DNS.

Regarding the top level domain .local, after reading this Wikipedia page on Zeroconf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf
and joeaverage's post above, should .local be avoided for one's HDA domain?

joeaverge

Postby joeaverge » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Regarding the top level domain .local, after reading this Wikipedia page on Zeroconf http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeroconf
and joeaverage's post above, should .local be avoided for one's HDA domain?
Honestly?...I do not see where one has to do with the other. Having a top level of .local means the name resolution stops with your network for internal devices. 192.x.x.x cannot be reached anywhere else anyway.

JoeAverge

taa

Postby taa » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm a newb when it comes to local DNS and Zeroconf setup and after reading the Wiki article I was more confused than ever. :D So, I figured I'd ask.