Streaming music server?

relrobber

Streaming music server?

Postby relrobber » Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:34 pm

maybe i'm just too old-skool, but y does one need a streaming music server on their home network? for years before i was aware of Amahi, i had all my music stored on a homebrew Samba server and organized by genre in folders. to listen, i simply opened winamp on any pc in the house, loaded the preferred folder into the playlist window, and clicked play. easy-peesy. i understand the usefulness to someone w/ a network media-capable home theater system, but who cares if u can stream to itunes (or any other computer app)?

just curious.

p.s.
i have one pc hooked up to my surround receiver, so that's already taken care of, too.

p.p.s
i also get it if you're streaming to your laptop on a remote internet connection away from home. (unless ur using vpn, b/c then ur on the home network anyway.)
Home HDA: Sony VAIO PCV-RX560, 1.7GHz P4, 320MB RAM

Managed HDA: 512MB RAM

cpg
Administrator

Re: Streaming music server?

Postby cpg » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:18 pm

mostly it's for centralization of managing, and the easy looking for songs through a music browser interface (author, title, genre search, etc.).

but yeah, using a file server, if you are organized, will cut it for us ol' school dudes.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1