SOLVED: Trouble accessing applications after installing new router

philipgillard

SOLVED: Trouble accessing applications after installing new router

Postby philipgillard » Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:23 am

Hi guys,

This one has had me puzzled all week and I cannot find any information on how to sort it out.
Just installed a new router at the start of the week because the old one packed a sad. The new one is a Vodafone Ultra Hub connected to a Technicolor Vodafone cable modem TC4400VDF and am running FibreX. The only thing that was swapped was the router. The Modem has not changed.

Now I am getting this error (example using qbittorrent) on all local apps:

This site can’t be reached

qbittorrent.gillrado.net’s server DNS address could not be found.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

This does not happen every time. Sometimes I am able to access the local apps and they works fine then just stop.
Looking at the routers event log the following error appears when I try to access local sites (again example trying with qbittorrent):

possible DNS-rebind attack detected: qbittorrent.gillrado.net

I have been searching and searching for ways around this but am at a stand still.
Had no issue with the last router. I have tried enabling/disabling the router firewall, have made sure my amahi server is managing DHCP and DNS but still no luck.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Gillrado

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Trouble accessing applications after installing new router

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:51 pm

Does your router have capability to assign a DNS server? If so, ensure it's pointing to the HDA.

Sounds like the DNS is using the HDA DNS sometimes, but the router DNS times. This would explain why apps sometimes work, but sometimes they don't.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

philipgillard

Postby philipgillard » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks for the help.

I believe you were 100% correct.

There is a setting under IPv4 to be able to point the router to a local DNS which I have done. For some reason there is no same setting for IPv6 so if this is turned on it still creates issues. For now I have just turned off IPv6 all together and is working fine.

Cheers

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Good to hear it's working now.
For now I have just turned off IPv6 all together and is working fine.
#Amahi does not currently have IPv6 capability with the DHCP or DNS server. It's on our list for a future version.

Marking as solved.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2