Welcome to Emergency Mode

TheParkerFamily

Welcome to Emergency Mode

Postby TheParkerFamily » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:31 pm

A few days after a brief power outage, I noticed my hda was unresponsive to ping, web interface or SSH. Have not made any changes to it within last 5-6 months, not even any new data saved to it within past several weeks, so I powered it down, waited a few seconds then powered it back on. (This being all it normally takes to resolve the occasional glitch).

To my surprise, the next time I went to access the server shares, it was still unavailable. Checked the switch, port it's plugged into shows a connection light so I shrugged and went to did up a monitor and cable to check it out...

Although the monitor I am using works fine in startup (all text etc on screen), once Fedora starts loading all the text etc jumps about a half inch or so off the left side of the screen, which is a huge pain... The part I can see says something about Control+D to continue and to enter root password for troubleshooting mode. Control+D seems to make it try to start again, but comes back to same message. Root password drops it out to a command line with root credentials. Network still seems to be uninitialized - I show link light at the switch for the cable, but IP is still unreachable.

Quick google-fu and I realize I am in Fedora's 'Welcome to Emergency mode' screen - and a look at the logs via journalctl shows a couple of drives that appear to be having trouble mounting. Not 100% as there is a massive amount of data being shown and some of it is off the sides of the screen where I can't read it.

Current plan is to edit /etc/fstab and comment all of the drives out from loading except the mirrored pair of SSD's I use as a boot drive and add them back in one by one. I sure wish there was the equivalent of 'Safe mode with networking so I could SSH this, as the location of this thing makes hooking up a keyboard and typing anything a juggling act. While I'm wishing, I could also do with better linux skills, since I so rarely have to do anything with this beast I always feel thumb-fingered when I do.

If there are any better suggestions to approaching this, or ways to just filter out the errors from the journalctl command so I can attack in a more targeted fashion, that would be awesome.
+++Error At Address: 14, Treacle Mine Road, Ankh-Morpork+++
+++Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++
+++Whoops! Here Comes The Cheese! +++

TheParkerFamily

Re: Welcome to Emergency Mode

Postby TheParkerFamily » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:01 pm

Does anyone know how to change the screen resolution in Emergency Mode (or from a prompt logged in as root)? I can't edit the fstab file successfully with 1/3 of it off the screen, unfortunately. This is a tremendous pita!

If it helps, this is a 22" HDMI display.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Your plan seems sound.

Recommend you use a Live CD and boot to it. Then mount your OS drive and edit the file.

This may also help you get around the monitor issue. You can use any Linux OS Live CD too.

Never understood why users have SSD drives for the server OS or use RAID. I have not found any real data to support improved performance. If nothing else it makes recovery more challenging.

SSD drives for home users primarily help with desktop OS vs headless from what I've read. I used standard hard drives and virtualization for my HDA with no issues for years.

Sorry for the rant :D
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

TheParkerFamily

Postby TheParkerFamily » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:01 am

SSD's were chosen due to size and reliability, not speed. I also had them already available and unused, so reduced cost of build. I also have a SSD cage that holds 4 drives and fits into a stnadard 5.25 bay, so it didn't take up any of the space I wanted to use for the TB traditional drives. Speed wasn't a factor.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:47 am

Makes sense. Might as well use what's available.

Did you resolve your issue?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

TheParkerFamily

Postby TheParkerFamily » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:19 pm

Sadly no, having trouble getting the system to boot from a USB LiveCD. I think I ran into this before as the default initrams reference a Partition name that unetbootin does not set when it generates the bootable USB. (If I remember correctly, I think it's a bug with the Mac version of the tool.) You can get it to work by manually editing the boot string to whatever your actual partition is called (the one on my usb stick is '8GB'). I can't rename it to be what it's expecting as the name is too long for the format type.

I'm being stubborn and trying to fix both the resolution and the partition reference so that the bootable USB does what it's supposed to without any fidgetting with it - I'm planning on leaving it taped inside the side cover of the machine in case the machine crashes again in the future so future self doesn't have to mess with all of this.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:50 pm

That stinks. Hope you get it sorted out.

Please let us know how it goes.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bcbill

Postby bcbill » Tue May 23, 2017 6:10 pm

Has this been solved? I'm a little rusty as it been almost 8 years since I've done any form of programming.

I keep getting a loop and says root account is locked and it keeps returning same error and no login prompt. I was going to build from scratch with Ubuntu 17.04 but found this project and liked it and its features. Am i missing something here should i have ignored the instructions and set a root password? Is there a way around this login lock out? TIA

PS: I'm using Sata drives not SSD

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:17 pm

Am i missing something here should i have ignored the instructions and set a root password?
There is no need for a root account login. The user you set up during Fedora install should be an administrator if you followed the instructions. I presume you installed Fedora 25, correct? We no longer support Ubuntu.

Precede commands with sudo. If you really want to have a root account, you can do the following:

Code: Select all

sudo su - passwd
If this does not work and the root account is actually locked, you will need to search the internet for help on that one. We have never had anyone report that root user account became locked.

BTW, in future we'd appreciate if you started a new thread specific to your issue. Hijacking another thread is not preferred.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bcbill

Postby bcbill » Tue May 23, 2017 6:30 pm

Sorry on the hijack, just sounded like similar problem and was wondering if they got past the lock out.

And yes I Went with Fedora 25 and followed the instructions on install guide. Had a power flash in our neighborhood and everything came back except my Amahi Server and it seems to be Fedora locking me out in emergency mode and wont let me past unable to open console and root account locked warning. going to try couple things ive read and if no luck ill start my own thread.
Thanks for the fast response