installation problem

nizze

installation problem

Postby nizze » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:03 pm

Installed Amahi9. Everything went well until I rebooted my computer and it asked me to log in. First my user name, (which went well) but then the password. No matter what i did or how hard I tried nothing happened. Not a single letter or number could be seen.
I reinstalled the software with the same result.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: installation problem

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Not a single letter or number could be seen. I reinstalled the software with the same result.
The password in terminal does not echo anything. Just type it in and press ENTER. If it's wrong it will tell you.

BTW, this is normal Linux behavior. It's not like Windows where you see asterisk for each character.

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

nizze

Postby nizze » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:26 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I really appreciate it.
Next problem: [NIZZE @ locahost ~1$
What does that meen?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Next problem: [NIZZE @ locahost ~1$
What does that meen?
This is a headless sever. Logging in this way is command line. Most new users won't need to access the server this way.

To access the Dashboard, you need to use a web browser and navigate to http://hda/.

I presume you followed the instructions at http://docs.amahi.org.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

nizze

Postby nizze » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:39 pm

Now I have spent a few hours again reading the instructions, reinstalling the software and getting nowhere.
A: When installing fedora it asks for a root password. In the instructions it says do not write a root password. Problem is you can't complete the installation without it.
B: Trying to login with http//hda/ doesn't work. Just get no connection.
C: Again in the instructions: sudo su -. It asks for my password and "surprise" I get the answer there is no such password.
rpm -Uvh http://f23.amahi.org/noarch/hda-release ... noarch.rpm
dnf -y install hda-ctl
hda-install YOUR-INSTALL-CODE
These commands generate their own series of no no's.
It's very late now and I'm tired. So this is my last attempt. If you can't give me a workable answer I'll just have to give up and come to the conclusion that Linux is not for me.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:22 pm

A: When installing fedora it asks for a root password. In the instructions it says do not write a root password. Problem is you can't complete the installation without it.
You must not have precisely followed the Amahi 9 Install instructions. When adding a user, it states to make them an administrator. That allows you to run commands as root. The guidance has been thoroughly tested and there is no reason why it should not have worked for you.
B: Trying to login with http//hda/ doesn't work. Just get no connection.
If the installation was not completed, this will not work. Also you have to reboot after the Amahi install.
C: Again in the instructions: sudo su -. It asks for my password and "surprise" I get the answer there is no such password.
The password you need to enter is the one for the user, not root. Maybe we did not make that clear in the guidance. Will have to take a look.
So this is my last attempt. If you can't give me a workable answer I'll just have to give up and come to the conclusion that Linux is not for me.
Just follow the guidance as documented. When asked for a password, it can only be one as that is all that was set with the Fedora install. Also ensure you enter only one line at a time.

Not everyone can get used to working with Linux. If you have the desire, it's not hard to learn. Does take time and patience though. Most simple tasks can be done via the HDA Dashboard without command-line. However if you attempt advanced tasks, then you will have to use it.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

nizze

Postby nizze » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:37 am

"A picture says more than a thousand words. "
Unfortunately I can't get the mail to accept the foto. It says it's too large.
I checked again and checked in all the boxes as said and then install. After a while it says "creating User." After 5h it still says the same thing. The ads att the bottom of the screen change continously but thats the only thing that changes.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:14 am

Unfortunately I can't get the mail to accept the foto. It says it's too large.
I don't follow.
I checked again and checked in all the boxes as said and then install. After a while it says "creating User." After 5h it still says the same thing. The ads att the bottom of the screen change continously but thats the only thing that changes.
There may be a loss of connectivity with your network. The Fedora 23 install process should not take long. Is the machine hard-wired to your network?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager