Fedora 19 EOL

DHott

Fedora 19 EOL

Postby DHott » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:12 pm

Hello All,

This is probably the wrong place to ask this, but I'm wondering what the RoadMap for Amahi 8 is looking like? I'm getting antsy that I am running on a EOL Distro. I know that it just went EOL, and I am having trouble finding any info on updating other than it breaks stuff and apps aren't supported on Fedora 21 yet. Is there somewhere that somebody could point me to that has info on all this?

Thank you for your time.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Fedora 19 EOL

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Amahi 8 is still in development for Fedora 21. It is not ready for production and there is no estimate as to when it will be released. There is a possibility we may move to Fedora 22 since it's due to be released next month.

Also there is no upgrade path from Fedora 19 at this point. It is the latest official release for Amahi. Although the OS is EOL, it's still safe to use. Many users are still running Ubuntu 12.04.x with no issues as well as Fedora 19.

Honestly if you prefer to be using the latest OS for a server, Amahi may not be the best fit for you. Due to our limited resources, it's difficult for us to keep pace with Fedora OS release cycles. It takes quite some time to adjust Amahi to all the changes each brings. There are many pieces and parts that users don't see which require update and testing.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

into3d

Postby into3d » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:18 pm

Having the distro be EOL dosent worry me as much as the fact that I can no longer download and install it, therefor I am unable to use amahi7...all the download links for fedora 19-32 and 64bit are down, and I cant find fedora 19-32bit available anywhere else like softpedia. Any suggestions on how to get a distro that works for my 32bit machine?

Joseph Walters

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:43 pm

Try the Fedora web site. The have all previous versions at the OS available for download.

EDIT: Try http://archive.fedoraproject.org/pub/ar ... 86-DVD.iso
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

into3d

Postby into3d » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:32 pm

I spent 6hrs on google, the fedora website, the amahi website, and softpedia and couldent find that link.....gosh

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:33 pm

LOL

Took some digging, but found it quickly. I have also updated the wiki with the links. The torrent download in the wiki is local to Amahi, so not sure why it's broken.

I have notified our administrator so it can be fixed.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

austwhite

Postby austwhite » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:25 am

I just came across this by accident and thought I'd have a read. Although Fedora 19 is EOL it is perfectly safe and a lot more secure than fully supported Windows equivalents, so rest assured your Server is safe. Also security holes shouldn't be a big deal as AMAHI is a HOME server and should not be internet facing anyway, you should have a firewall between AMAHI and the internet as it has no firewall functionality in built (unless your a Linux expert and tweak behind the scenes).
I personally install using the AMAHI 7 Express CD which is downloadable from the link when you create your HDA. It does a really nice minimal install of Fedora 19 and puts AMAHI on the top almost seamlessly. You can add a GUI and whatever other things you like from the CLI once its installed. Admittedly, only 64 bit, but most intel/amd hardware made in the last few years should support that anyway.

@The AMAHI team: Despite what I have said above, would it be maybe more prudent to look at moving to UBUNTU LTS releases for AMAHI's main stream server rather than Fedora? I realise this would take some work, but you have had it mostly working on UBUNTU 12.04, which is the previous LTS to 14.04 which was released last year.
I make this suggestion as Ubuntu LTS versions are guaranteed 5 years support life with updates. This would mean the development of AMAHI could be more focused on polishing the product and fixing bugs and adding features rather than constantly fighting the release cycle of Fedora. It's just a thought.
I happen to enjoy using AMAHI 7.x and have just reinstalled it as my primary home server because quite frankly nothing else came close to the ease of use, app support and reliability. I tried LinuxMCE and found it very fragile and temperamental to set up and even when I got the core to work, it was flakey compared to AMAHI. Also, the stable version of LinuxMCE is based aroung KUBUNTU 10.04, which is several incarnations behind the version.(and LinuxMCE is designed to be the firewall/router)

Anyway I have waffled enough I think.
Amahi 7 Fedora 19. Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, 15TB Storage (WD RED)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:12 am

The post from our developer I have referenced here says it all I believe.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=5066&p=28033&hilit ... ntu#p28033

The one developer we had for the Ubuntu release is no longer available. If you or someone else in the community wants to pursue developing an Ubuntu version for Amahi, the team would be happy to collaborate. This person needs to have skills for developing Amahi packages in Debian along with the testing and supporting of an Ubuntu release as well.

As it is now, we have one developer (Fedora) and don't have the resources to pursue a second OS build with the current work load. As you may not know, the Amahi team is quite small and with the exception of the developer, members are all volunteers who contribute their free time to help keep things going.

We do the best we can to serve the community, but are currently limited to Fedora.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager