Help accessing web apps from the Internet

jonathankonrad

Help accessing web apps from the Internet

Postby jonathankonrad » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:41 pm

I am hoping to access several of my web apps from the general Internet. My major interests are for owncloud7 and wordpress. I have read this excellent wiki: https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Hosting_a_website

First, I have no problems accessing my HDA from the Internet. I use it regularly to run Minecraft servers, etc. I can use "username.yourhda.com:Port##" and I will reach the servers I need to. I have also setup my router properly to pass on port 80 and 443 to my HDA inside. However, I am having three distinct problems. First, if I configure my app.conf file to include the line:

Code: Select all

ServerAlias username.yourhda.com
and reboot the http service, I cannot access that app with "username.yourhda.com" while on my internal network. It just spins or gives a DNS error. The second problem might relate to how the app is setup or what the app is expecting to find for it's URL. Anyway, the second problem happens if I now go on an external network and try to reach that app with "username.yourhda.com". At that point it only partially loads as shown below:

The last problem might just be a compound of the first few errors. This happenes when I try to configure more than one app. So I change the app.conf files to include lines like:

Code: Select all

ServerAlias appname.username.yourhda.com
and reboot the http service, I cannot access the apps with "appname.username.yourhda.com" from anywhere. Not internally, nor from the greater Internet. I do have a DynamicDNS service and I own a domain name through GoDaddy, but I have not tried to configure those yet. I thought I had better solve my first two errors first and get at least one app to load properly before I attempt to load many. However, that is the goal eventually. Products like owncloud really shine when you can actually use them from anywhere. Thank you for any help.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Help accessing web apps from the Internet

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:25 am

You have two options here.

If you want to use the Amahi dynamic DNS yourhda.com, you can only do one app per port. It does not allow for multiple applications on port 80. There is however guidance in the wiki, hosting web apps on different ports, which might be helpful. You cannot do subdomains, i.e. appname.username.yourhda.com.

The second option is to use your DynamicDNS service and GoDaddy to fulfill the task. The wiki page above also provides guidance for this method.

Does that make sense?
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

jonathankonrad

Postby jonathankonrad » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:47 am

Yes.

Could you provide any insight on the first problems? Is there a manual route or DNS item I have to create so I can reach an app in house with the same external address? For example right now wordpress.localdomain.com works at home, but not wordpress.externaldomain.com even if I have it setup right and can reach it at wordpress.externaldomain.com when on the general Internet.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:23 am

The best method is to use subdomains with a Dynamic DNS provider. This would involve using CNAMEs for the apps, not app.yourhda.com.

This is something we are hoping to incorporate this in Amahi 8, but unsure if that will happen. This can be quite a tricky thing to get set right.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2