Unable to access any WebGUI app after OS X Yosemite Upgrade

zac851

Unable to access any WebGUI app after OS X Yosemite Upgrade

Postby zac851 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:57 pm

I'm sure for those who are Mac users, know that the newest OS update was just released for Mac computers called Yosemite. I upgraded both of my MacBooks, and my iMac yesterday and now it seems that I'm unable to access the WebGUI of any of the installed apps using Safari, Chrome, or Firefox on the Apple Machines. My folder shares all work just fine and all services are running as usual and my Windows and Linux machines can access the webGUI as always. I can only assume that something with the OS X upgrade has caused this. Just curious if anyone else has experienced this?

zac851

Re: Unable to access any WebGUI app after OS X Yosemite Upgr

Postby zac851 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but it is definitely a problem on OS X Yosemite. I haven't had time to mess with it much but a quick search on google shows that a lot of other users are experiencing problems accessing .local sites as well.

panzer

Postby panzer » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:33 pm

This is odd, i would start looking at whats controlling your DHCP router or HDA.
I would also have a look to see where your OSX proxy settings are .. i hear the yosemite has an " auto detect setting" that may cause issues.
If you can give a print out of your network settings in OSX and paste them here that might help.

zac851

Postby zac851 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:55 am

I forgot to post the other day but I also figured out that not only does this problem affect OS X yosemite, it also broke any device running iOS8 which i updated my iPad and iPhone too. A temporary work around I found was that if I took off the domain.local suffix and just typed http://Plex/ the site worked fine.

I finally found a fix for the OS X devices tonight though. After searching, I came across a few users having the same issue accessing any of their internal sites with "domain.local" suffix after upgrading to Yosemite and iOS8.

The fix was simple. Just open up Terminal and run this command line:

Code: Select all

sudo discoveryutil mdnsactivedirectory yes
This forces OS X Yosemite to use Unicast DNS to lookup .local domains rather than just Multicast which fixes the problem. Apparently, Mavericks used Unicast first by default and that was changed in Yosemite. As for iOS8 devices, there isn't a fix right now. Maybe the next update that Apple releases will fix it but for now, you'll just have to leave the domain.local part off.

zac851

Postby zac851 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:24 pm

Something I noticed today is that the change reverts back if you reboot your Mac. I found another post where a user said he had a ticket open with Apple on it. In the mean time you'll either have to run the command each time you reboot or simply make a script that runs it for you automatically on logon which is what I did for my Macs. It's not a huge deal since I never reboot unless an update or something forces me too but just thought i'd post an update..