Hardware Suggestions

Sqwirtle

Hardware Suggestions

Postby Sqwirtle » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:34 pm

I saw another thread on this but it was from many years ago so I figured I'd make a fresh one.

I currently have a Amahi 7 HDA set up with greyhole storage. I am running it on a very old piece of crap computer.

Current specs are: Now I want to use other hdds I have but they are SATA ports so I figured I could just buy a card that has sata ports on it as this old mobo does not. But this mobo only has PCI slots (no PCI express) I think they are only v1.5 PCI as well (not even v2). I found a cheap card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6815124006 but it says PCI v2 and I'm not sure if that is backwards compatible? I also know I'm already losing function here so dont want to lose more.

So I thought about just buying new parts / system, keeping it as cheap and energy efficient as possible. I know that Amahi's required specs are very low but I want to be able to use this system for:
  • File Sharing
    Torrenting
    Music Streaming
    Video Streaming (720p and 1080p)
I also assume Im going to want a better 1000Mbps ethernet anyways.

What are some good/cheap builds that could still handle this?

I was looking at something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6859107921 or to build by own for roughly same price or less.

Thanks for any recommendations and suggestions!

yoyocint

Re: Hardware Suggestions

Postby yoyocint » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:39 pm

If chasis size is not your biggest concern...

I would suggest the lenovo thinkserver ts140. I got it on ama##n for 229 diskless.
its i3, 4gb of ram (capable of 32gb), has 4 expansion card slots, supports upto 4hdd, mobo is capable of raid 1,5,10, and some other, 6 usb 3 ports, dead silent at 24db, gb ethernet, mobo and bios support hdd's larger than 2tb, energy star certified at 17watts idle. Built quality is very good. To me is perfect for Amahi.

I just got one and love it. You can ger the intel xeon quad core version for about tee same as the hp chasis you mentioned.

[ Post made via Android ] Image