Cannot access any installed apps from only one PC

CobaltPhoenix

Cannot access any installed apps from only one PC

Postby CobaltPhoenix » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:01 am

Admins: Please move to proper category if this does not belong here. I could not find one that fits my problem, though I could have missed it.

I have a bit of a puzzler here. I am able to access all of my apps from my dashboard from every computer (and mobile device) in the house except my two Windows 7 PCs. I can access the dashboard, but as soon as I try to select an app I get a "Webpage Not Available" issue in Chrome. I get similar errors in IE and Firefox, so I have eliminated a browser issue.

The specific error in Chrome is this: ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED

This has led me to believe it is an issue with local DNS, though I have been unable to solve it.

As a note, the entire network is setup to use IPv6. I have two Win 7 PCs, three XP PCs, and one multiboot with Ubuntu, Mint, and XP. Only one XP PC currently has IPv6 capability, but it was able to access the HDA without any issues.

This is what I have done to try to fix this so far:
I had a static IP address set, using the server's IP for DNS. I have switched this back to DHCP.
I have rebooted my computer.
I have tried flushing the DNS after every other step
I have released and renewed my IP address
I have rebooted the DNS server on the server.
I have re-registered the DNS
I have rebooted the entire server
I have disabled IPv6 on one PC

I am at a loss. I am running Windows 7 Pro on the PCs with issues. I have AVG, Spybot, and Malwarebytes installed on both, and all other PCs, so I doubt it has to with security settings.

It is not my router. My current network setup is this: Modem > Router > Switch > Amahi Server and rest of network

DHCP and DNS is disabled on the router. It is nothing more than a gateway at this point. Port forwarding is no longer used on the router. I have, however, setup a fixed IP for one of the PCs with issues using the Fixed IPs option in the Network section in the Amahi settings. I have deleted the Fixed IP, and it did not solve it. I created a new Fixed IP with a different IP address as well. I do not believe this has anything to do with the issue, though.

I am also unable to access http://myhdaname.hda along with any subdomains. It is not able to resolve the HDA's name.

If you have any ideas, I've run out. It seems to be a problem local to only this PC and not an issue with the server itself seeing as how all other PCs and devices can access the apps just fine.

CobaltPhoenix

Re: Cannot access any installed apps from only one PC

Postby CobaltPhoenix » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:26 am

Okay, I am failing step 9 of the interactive troubleshooter. On my Windows 7 PC "nslookup hda.<myhdaname>.hda" is returning the following:

Code: Select all

Server: cdns02.comcast.net Address: 2001:558:feed::2
Realizing that the error is due to the HDA not working properly with IPv6 DNS, I went ahead and set a static DNS address using the HDA's IPv6 address. All is working now. However, the problem still remains of how to fix this without the need for a static DNS assignment. My other Windows 7 PC is a laptop used elsewhere on other networks. This is not a permanent solution, but is only a temporary workaround. I still need to figure out how to set up the HDA to automatically handle IPv6 DNS requests.

EDIT:

The above command now results in this:

Code: Select all

Server: UnKnown Address: <IPv6 address of HDA> Name: hda.<myhdaname>.hda.<myhdaname>.hda <---Not a copy/paste error. It really shows up like this after running the command. Address: <IPv4 address of HDA>
So it seems that in order to make it work, I had to break my IPv6 DNS? Except I can still pass the IPv6 test, and I can still connect to ipv6.google.com. I would still like to get a permanent fix in place.

Also, any ideas why my HDA name comes up weird like that?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Cannot access any installed apps from only one PC

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:56 am

I don't believe Amahi currently supports IPv6 addressing, hence your issues.
https://bugs.amahi.org/issues/1122
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2