What is your Window Manager/Desktop Environment?

surfrock66

What is your Window Manager/Desktop Environment?

Postby surfrock66 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 am

I'm running Fedora 14, and Gnome 2 is getting a bit stale. I actually keep a VNC session open most of the time at work so my traffic isn't really caught by my employer, so I use it heavily.

What Window Managers/Desktop Environments do people use out there? On my other machines I use AwesomeWM for how low-resource it is, but something tells me that would be a bad call here (for example...you have to do a hack to get apps to run at logon).

What are people out there using, what do you think would work well over VNC, and what issues would you be worried about with some of the Amahi-requirements? (For example...is XFCE a known no-no?)

sgtfoo

Re: What is your Window Manager/Desktop Environment?

Postby sgtfoo » Tue May 28, 2013 8:13 am

has no issues running XFCE on my Amahi server
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

Bureaucromancer

Re: What is your Window Manager/Desktop Environment?

Postby Bureaucromancer » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:17 pm

My Amahi box is headless and running without anything, which I'm quite happy with. Only hiccup so far was some trouble with the Plex one click install script, and I'm really loving getting to know the unix command line in depth (haven't used command line's for much more than occasionally calling a compiler since the bloody C64).

As for desktop I've yet to make a serious attempt at Linux, so I've played with a lot but more or less default to Unity for simply being so common... Though I think on balance I prefer one of the Mint varieties.