Fedora transition - voice your opinion!

Which OS would you rather see the next Amahi version run on?

Fedora 17
23%
Fedora 16
6%
CentOS 6
26%
another distro entirely (reply about it!)
45%

Total votes: 31
bigmango

Re: Fedora transition - voice your opinion!

Postby bigmango » Sat May 19, 2012 4:26 am

• centos 6: we love centos 6. we use it a lot at Amahi for our services. however, there are too many little details changed, many not up to date, that it's far from trivial to run amahi on it. especially as we move forward.
  • ubuntu 12.04 lts: this seems to be the best bet at the moment for our next stable release. we have been working on it for a while, we have a beta 1 working and apps are starting to work. it's LTS, so it looks to be stable for a while, so it's a good stable platform. many people like ubuntu/debian too.
Exactly, that's also why I think Ubuntu LTS is the way to go.
the best approach seems to launch a more or less stable beta-quality release on U12.04 and then immediately focus on porting the platform to rails 3, ruby 1.9 and fedora 17 services.

ordinarily, we like to fight one dragon at a time, not all three at the same time!
Imho, you guys don't have the manpower to focus on several distributions at the moment. Furthermore, Fedora's short life cycle is already too much for the team to handle (look, now with Fedora 14 we are running and End of line OS that isn't getting any security fixes anymore for 4 months already. This should not happen again in the future, and the way to avoid this is to move away from Fedora).

As you said, the best choice is between Ubuntu LTs and Centos. And Ubuntu wins for the above reason.

So the best imho is to move to Ubuntu LTS and make this the main distribution (for it's solid supported base + long term life cycle).

Many thanks to all of you.

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Wed May 23, 2012 9:19 am

I just checked the Wiki this morning and noticed a change in the next software platform release for Amahi. I am sure that many of us are happy to see a plan for the next release!

Now concerning a future roadmap for Amahi. It has been 2 weeks now since a vote was requested on future platforms to be supported by Amahi. The current vote seems to favor Centos, I know I personally support it. But there are only a total of 11 votes as of today! The Amahi Team needs more individual votes in order to help determine a future path.

Is there a way to advertise to the Amahi user base (60,000 at the last count right?) that this vote exists? I think we need more votes so that the Amahi Team can decide which roads they should travel in future.

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Wed May 23, 2012 9:30 am

yea I was hoping that many more of the users would be browsing teh forums and do this vote.

Perhaps we gotta email everybody?
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Wed May 23, 2012 11:15 am

yea I was hoping that many more of the users would be browsing teh forums and do this vote.

Perhaps we gotta email everybody?
Before any "possible" email to the user base is down something else needs to be considered. Not all of the user base would have forum IDs and perhaps will not want to register (too much work) in order to vote?

Is there some sort of free on-line voting or questionaire (as a substitue for voting) that everyone could use (by direct URL link) anonymously? Also this could also have a end date for collecting votes?

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Wed May 23, 2012 11:27 am

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed May 23, 2012 11:38 am

We really need a polling mechanism deployed on the Amahi web site (i.e. poll.amahi.org or survey.amahi.org). It would probably need to be something that is only accessible via some type of single sign on though to keep the spammers at bay.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 am

We really need a polling mechanism deployed on the Amahi web site (i.e. poll.amahi.org or survey.amahi.org). It would probably need to be something that is only accessible via some type of single sign on though to keep the spammers at bay.
I think that would be a useful tool in future. Right now I think if anything is available on-line for free it should be used. I think some imeadiate results will be needed once you guys have your new release out to assist you in planning the future. You guys have very thin resources at the moment to worry about building something new.

northridgegrp

Postby northridgegrp » Wed May 23, 2012 11:48 am

I think that would be a useful tool in future. Right now I think if anything is available on-line for free it should be used. I think some imeadiate results will be needed once you guys have your new release out to assist you in planning the future. You guys have very thin resources at the moment to worry about building something new.
I visited the oracle Mr. Google and found this:

http://www.makeuseof.com/dir/letsvoteno ... ting-tool/

It appears to be close to what you would need for now.

nickdanger3d

Postby nickdanger3d » Sat May 26, 2012 12:10 pm

My vote is for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

JasonWard

Postby JasonWard » Sat May 26, 2012 3:22 pm

Ubuntu

My entire network system is Ubuntu based, except I have a somewhat ancient version of Amahi running on Fedora, mostly doing DNS and DHCP, I would use it more, but the Redhat way of doing things is not for me, I've always found it barfs on far more hardware than Debian/Ubuntu and the Debain package management is second to none in my view add in Ubuntu PPA's and installing new software and maintaining an installation is incredibly easy.

If it were not for the promise that Amahi will work on Ubuntu sometime soon I would have abandoned Amahi, so my vote is very firmly Ubuntu.