Fedora transition - voice your opinion!

Which OS would you rather see the next Amahi version run on?

Fedora 17
23%
Fedora 16
6%
CentOS 6
26%
another distro entirely (reply about it!)
45%

Total votes: 31
bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Fedora transition - voice your opinion!

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:51 am

What do you mean by transition of settings? Also I have tested Ubuntu server as well as Xubuntu and both appear to work fine. I have not tested Kubuntu yet, but I expect it will work as well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Re: Fedora transition - voice your opinion!

Postby cpg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for your feedback, guys. These are good words of wisdom.

We're going to go with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for now, then probably look at Fedora 17, which has a lot of new technology, some of it we want to ride along (e.g. rails 3 and ruby 1.9, big steps for Amahi).

As much as we like centos, it's a slow moving train. By the time the next version comes around, there are way too many things breaking, and we would have needed to move on to new technologies. Centos 5 was way way too old even for the current Amahi 6 and the previous release. Centos 6 does not have the latest ruby or RoR, limited ARM support (if any), a very very difficult and unsupportive community (we know this first hand), and generally hard to follow technology roadmaps.

With more people in the dev team, we could support more OS platforms and architectures (assuming they have the expertise). Want to participate? :-)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1