Is there anything like DropBox?

thomasps

Is there anything like DropBox?

Postby thomasps » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:35 pm

In general, does anything exist that basically does what DropBox does but within Amahi (or Linux in general)? DropBox is great but you pay for storage and your info and files are subject to whatever terms they want. Using VPN to connect to my Amahi machine is too cumbersome.
Thanks

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Is there anything like DropBox?

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:53 pm

How about Amahi Sync?

http://www.amahi.org/apps/amahi-sync

It is currently in Beta status. If you would like access to beta apps, log into amahi.org and subscribe to a premium plan. There is a nominal fee, but it will open up more apps for you to try.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

thomasps

Postby thomasps » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestion bigfoot65. I was looking for something more HDA centered and less cloud centered and also free....

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:37 pm

This is HDA supported. Your files are on the HDA in a share called Public. They then are automatically uploaded to the cloud.

You might also try setting up DropBox on your HDA. See the wiki for guidance.

http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/DropBox
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

PatrickDickey

Postby PatrickDickey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:31 pm

One other thing you can try is setting up Ubuntu One on your server. If you're using the Ubuntu-based version, it might already be there. And if you're using the Fedora-based version, you can find instructions online for doing so. Of course your mileage may vary. On the Fedora version, you need to set your keyring up without a password initially, otherwise it won't allow you to connect. And you'll have to do the u1sdtool -c command right after installing (although it's listed later in the few scripts that I've found), in order to connect properly.

Have a great day:)
Patrick.

As a side note, I would do this before you start putting any data on the server that you can't afford to lose. Because if it breaks, you might have to do a reinstall of the server to fix the problems.