Could SOPA close down Amahi?

leke

Could SOPA close down Amahi?

Postby leke » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:38 am

I noticed there is some talk about SOPA having jurisdiction on sites that make it difficult for investigators to snoop into what kind of content networks are providing online.

Do you think this could shut down systems like Amahi or at least force them to become transparent?

moredruid
Expert

Re: Could SOPA close down Amahi?

Postby moredruid » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:54 am

From what I understand of the SOPA & PIPA bills yes they could. If they just blindly spider the website for certain keywords and would request the blackout without interpreting them first it is very likely even. Then again, almost all websites may fall victim to this. You could even write a bad review and get blacked out. You could even get a bad comment somewhere that you've missed and get blacked out. Even being hit by a spambot which posts a knock-off medicine may get you blacked out.

The biggest problem with these acts is that "presumed innocent until proven guilty" is reversed. The burden of proof will be on the maintainer of the site, while the requester is frolicking around shutting down legitimate websites or even trying to catch one of their competitors with a bad comment and blacking them out - or even worse than that: posting the comment themselves and have them shut down. Most businesses don't have the resources to monitor that. Basically this whole act is bad for consumers, bad for businesses (even though they might not yet see the complete impact of this act) and thus bad for the internet itself.

BTW: TED talk about SOPA & PIPA here (about 14 minutes, but well worth it)
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD