Some General Questions about DHCP and DNS (among others)

PatrickDickey

Some General Questions about DHCP and DNS (among others)

Postby PatrickDickey » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:03 am

Hi everyone,

I realize the DHCP and DNS are optional, but I have a few questions. I read somewhere that Amahi uses OpenDNS for their DNS system. I already have an account with Open DNS for my home network, so would I be able to configure Amahi with my information, or do I need to create a new account?

As for the DHCP, my network looks something like this: DSL modem --> Cisco 2514 Router --> Cisco Catalyst 2950 switch --> network (consisting of one desktop, one laptop, one HTPC (Mythbuntu), one Windows Home Server (going to become Amahi), and one wireless router (Linksys) so I can connect my laptop via wireless also. And one HP Printer, which is wireless.

Currently the Cisco router provides DHCP and my IPv6 DHCP.

How much of an issue will it be to disable the DHCP on the Amahi? (As in what features will be broken, what steps will I need to take? etc?) Would there be any issues that I need to consider, if I want to use the Amahi for DHCP? Also, would it provide my IPv6 addresses via DHCP, or do I need to leave those on the router?

I'm guessing that if I'm able to use my current OpenDNS accounts, then instead of pointing to their servers, I just have to point to my Amahi server (I would list that IP address first in my resolv.conf file, and leave the Open DNS servers listed in case I'm not home).

Essentially, any advice that you can give me is greatly appreciated. It probably won't be until next week or the week after, before I can install Amahi (as I need to get more drives for the server).

Also, one other question. My WHS currently has two internal hard drives, and 3 USB (Western Digital) Hard drives. Will Amahi set all of these up just like Windows Home Server did?

Thanks and have a great day:)
Patrick.

P.S. If this belongs in another forum, I'm sorry. Feel free to move it to wherever is appropriate.