HDA shuts down during boot

mystictoaster

HDA shuts down during boot

Postby mystictoaster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:07 pm

After running amahi pretty much problem-free for a year, my server has begun acting up in a very serious way. When I power up the server, when the boot progress bar gets to about halfway (right after the words "Fedora 12" show up), the system shuts down. At first, I was able to finally get it to boot completely after a few tries, but now, without fail, it always shuts down at the same point.
I thought it might have been a failing power supply, so I swapped it out for a higher wattage supply (600w), but to no avail. It still shuts down at the same time. I thought it might have been a failing startup drive, so I cloned the drive to a new one, but that did nothing to solve the problem.
At this point I'm at a loss as to what to do. I don't know if this is an amahi-specific problem, or some hardware failure I'm not seeing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

radioz

Re: HDA shuts down during boot

Postby radioz » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:05 pm

Hmm. It does sound like it could be a hardware problem.

Can you tell where in the boot sequence it is dieing? Still in the Bios boot, or do you see Fedora starting to come up?

Try booting the system with a LiveCD to see if that makes a difference. If it succeeds, mount the hard drive and look at the log files (/var/log/messages in particular).

Good luck!

moredruid
Expert

Re: HDA shuts down during boot

Postby moredruid » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:49 am

Hmmm
that means you get at least past GRUB since you see the loading bars for Fedora.

you can try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F1 (or F2, F3 etc.) until you see the boot messages roll by, you should at least get the idea where it hangs.
Alternatively you can edit /boot/grub/menu.lst (if you have a succesful boot) or edit grub online: when you see the boot menu/kernel choice, press any key (I usually use up/down) to select the most recent kernel, press "e" to edit the line that starts with "kernel /vmlinuz-..."

You will need to remove 2 keywords: "rhgb" and "quiet", these will make the progress bar disappear and show you the raw boot output on console. then press Enter and "b" to boot if you edited grub online or restart if you were able to edit the "menu.lst" file.
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD