Raid 0 on reinstall

pitbull

Raid 0 on reinstall

Postby pitbull » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:44 pm

Ok. Second post here, been lurking a lot. I'm at the point now that I all I wan't to do is reinstall Fedora 14 on my machine.

I have a few issues that have been bugging me, and I 'm now running out of patience and /or knowledge.

Here are my specs: ABIT NF7-S rev 2, Athlon 2600Xp, ATI X800, I'm running Fedora 14 on an old 40 Gb IDE HD,everything is on that drive, I mean by that all the fedora and pers stuff. I also have 2x 2Tb in software RAID 0, hooked on a PCI SATA controller card that I only use for storage, pictures, mp3's, recorded Tv etc.... I set up the array during the install. Everything was working fine, up until I went away for 1 month and the wife made the breaker on the circuit that my server is plugged into trip. It fried my PSU, and luckily that was the only damage... -No UPS... it`s on the todo list now. That, and to add 1 or 2 more 2Tb drives to the array get a RAID 5 going. Eversince then, the RAID array stopped mounting at boot. The only fix I found is : mdadm --stop, then --assemble and finally mount /dev/md0. Today I managed to update my mdadm.conf file so I don't have to do that anymore. Small victory buy now, I also have this : Error: siI: RAID type 253 not supported during the boot sequence.

-ever since that breaker tripped and fried the PSU, the PC won't go past the "F" in the waterdrop stage. I can SSH in it no problem, but it gets get stucked at that point. I'm only guessing that the power disruption caused this bad streak to begin... I was away for 1 month, and the server is headless. I don't see any other possibility.

-By looking at the text during the boot, I now have a EDID error, as well as a plymouthd error.

-Squeezebox server was working fine up until today. I see the service is started during boot sequence, but I get a "The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.". I performed an uninstall/reinstall, and did the CPAN/cookie/service restart thing. No joy. Rebooted, no joy. Somehow, I manage to screw that up too.

-When I try to access the dashboard after a reboot, I now have a "Application error The application has found an error. You will be forwarded shortly." This is a fresh problem too. I now have to execute : service hdactl restart after a reboot......

-I'm also trying to add a PCI Gigabit NIC in the equation. Without a GUI, it`s not as easy as it looks for me......

So because of all of the above, I'm seriously thinking of doing a complete gut and reinstall Fedora 14 along with Amahi. The only real question I have now, should I decide to go that way is: Will I loose the data on my Raid array..

help/toughts/advices?