Planning home audio, help select HW

ccondrup

Planning home audio, help select HW

Postby ccondrup » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:26 am

We're on the brink of buying a lot of new audio hardware around the house. We need a new radio in the dining room, an alarm clock in the bedroom, speakers/stereo for the tv etc. Of course I would like them all to be able to stream music over wifi from Amahi.

My main questions:
1. Which is the preferred Amahi app to use for streaming music to other devices? (Which will be supported for a long time/is maintained by one of the central Amahi guys)
2. Any experience with the hardware listed, or would you rather recommend other players I haven't mentioned?

Wishes:
* Connect using wifi. The house is only one floor and pretty spread out, so we already have wifi repeaters. It would be preferrable to not have to connect each audio player using a cable, but rather have them use the existing wifi.
* Play both FM and digital (internet/dab) radio
* Play music stored on the HDA, and from random iPods and iPhones around the house (docking or audio jack).
* No need for cd-player in the media players as long as the chosen solution allows for easy cd-ripping to the HDA storage

We have not yet decided on getting players with built-in speakers or if we are buying separate stereo systems.. but there is definitely a limit to what we are willing to spend here.

Contenders so far:
Logitech Squeezebox.
- I would like the boom but its off the market?
* Is the "Radio" capable of filling a rather large room with sound?
+ Seems to have good support in Amahi
Sonos.
+ Said to have excellent sound.
- Uses its own proprietary wifi bridge, aka cannot use our existing wifi?
Pure.
+ Myriad of products, sure to find one for each need/room
* Can they be used with Amahi?
Pinell.
TerraTec Noxon.

Please chime in with your positive and negative experiences! Thanks!

sgtfoo

Re: Planning home audio, help select HW

Postby sgtfoo » Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:41 pm

got another contender for ya..... http://www.vortexbox.org
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch

bt107

Postby bt107 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:21 am

I use a Logitech Duet along with Squeezebox server on the HDA. It was a little difficult to set up initially but works great. I use it to stream music from the HDA and from Pandora.

ccondrup

Postby ccondrup » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:34 am

Thanks bt107. I had my eye on a Squeezebox too, but in our living room we needed something that can play DAB+ and FM radio as well, so we have now got a Pinell Supersound with an iPod dock via its minijack input. The unit is able to fill our rather large living room with sound, impressive sound quality for such a small device. I can confirm it works fine with Amahi DLNA, both wired and wireless plays without a hitch and menus are fast. Very pleased with the purchase. Worth noting: it doesn't play Spotify directly, but you can add radio streams manually so streaming Spotify yourself from a PC/Amahi will work.