hdd/greyhole

mmitchell151

hdd/greyhole

Postby mmitchell151 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Just curious, when I was building my computer that I have now installed amahi onto. I had purchased and installed two hard drives one was an 80GB for the OS, the other is a 1TB intended for music, document, pics, ect (basically the amahi shares). Since amahi sets it up as though it was one hard drive is this how it works or does it all go on the first hard drive till its full and then on the second or?

Thanks

rkillcrazy

Re: hdd/greyhole

Postby rkillcrazy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:25 pm

Just curious, when I was building my computer that I have now installed amahi onto. I had purchased and installed two hard drives one was an 80GB for the OS, the other is a 1TB intended for music, document, pics, ect (basically the amahi shares). Since amahi sets it up as though it was one hard drive is this how it works or does it all go on the first hard drive till its full and then on the second or?

Thanks
So, you have two HDDs... One is the system drive & the other you want used for data. Seems reasonable... ;)

Well, it all depends on how you have your system set up. Assuming you see your 1-TB HDD in Amahi (Setup > Shares > Storage Pool), you should be able to check the box to allow it to be used in said pool. Once you've confirmed that to be the case, go into Setup > Shares > Shares, select one of the shares and you should see the details pertaining to that share. Check the box that allows it to use the pool. Now you have your pool set up. Not much of a pool with only one HDD but it's simple and should still work.

Some more info for you.... As you begin to copy data to the share (ie: \\hda\movies), the system drive will fill up. This is normal so don't dump too much stuff at once like I did when I first set up my Amahi server :D . Once data is there, if you chose to use Greyhole (on by default), it will begin to move the data to the pooled HDD(s).

Hope that help. See the wiki for some more info if you think you need it. The info there is pretty good.
Last edited by rkillcrazy on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amahi HDA:
  • MOBO: ASRock K10N78
  • CPU: AMD Athlon II 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
  • RAM: 2-GB (dual-channel)
  • HDDs: WD20EARS (qty: 4)
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

mmitchell151

Postby mmitchell151 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks rkill, I know its not much of a pool at the moment but I plan on adding more drives and setting up a raid rather than using my external drive as a backup. Not to mention the 1TB is plenty of space for me for the time being.

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 am

Thanks rkill, I know its not much of a pool at the moment but I plan on adding more drives and setting up a raid rather than using my external drive as a backup. Not to mention the 1TB is plenty of space for me for the time being.
Well, it's also about redundancy. While a large pool might not be needed right now, having your data on two HDDs is nice to when one of them fails. For some reason my buddy has been having issues with his server chucking HDDs left & right. I've replace 3 of them in the past few months. It's nice to know he has duplicates of all those movies and music so he doesn't have to recreate the data whenever I put in a new HDD. (It took a very long time to rip all that stuff.) Greyhole does it's thing and the duplicates show up on the other HDDs overnight!
Amahi HDA:
  • MOBO: ASRock K10N78
  • CPU: AMD Athlon II 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
  • RAM: 2-GB (dual-channel)
  • HDDs: WD20EARS (qty: 4)
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400