Change default port of Amahi's web-interface

rkillcrazy

Change default port of Amahi's web-interface

Postby rkillcrazy » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm trying to move some of my web sites to my Amahi server and that looks like it's working well. However, while I can use a ServerAlias (wiki.yourusername.yourhda.com) to make certain sites answer certain web calls, if I don't use any alias (yourusername.yourhda.com), the login page for Amahi's web-interface comes up. I'm no Apache wizard so I'm having a bit of trouble figuring this out. How can I change the default port (80) to something else so it doesn't answer those web calls? maybe there's a better way?

Using WebMin, I was able to change the port for this entry:

Handles the name-based server hda on address *.
Address Any
Port 80 Server Name hda
Document Root /var/hda/platform/html/public

I changed it to port 8080 and it kept it from answering on port 80 but then I couldn't get to it at all.
Amahi HDA:
  • MOBO: ASRock K10N78
  • CPU: AMD Athlon II 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
  • RAM: 2-GB (dual-channel)
  • HDDs: WD20EARS (qty: 4)
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

mmitchell151

Re: Change default port of Amahi's web-interface

Postby mmitchell151 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:24 pm

How are you trying to pull up your amahi page after changing to port 8080? I'm not a linux expert either, so I'm sorry if this sounds like the obvious and you have tried it, but have you tried username.yourhda.com:8080 or your ip address example: 192.168.1.1:8080

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:42 pm

How are you trying to pull up your amahi page after changing to port 8080? I'm not a linux expert either, so I'm sorry if this sounds like the obvious and you have tried it, but have you tried username.yourhda.com:8080 or your ip address example: 192.168.1.1:8080
Well, I'm trying it locally so I'm trying to get to http://hda:8080 or http://192.168.10.10:8080. Neither one work after I make the change and reload apache.
Amahi HDA:
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:11 am

Nobody has any ideas? Doesn't seem like something like this should be all that difficult...
Amahi HDA:
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:22 am

My bad.... Forgot I had already posted this.
Last edited by rkillcrazy on Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amahi HDA:
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:34 am

Why do you want to change the port number? I am sure it's doable, but not sure where to point you. I would presume you have changed all the applicable .conf files and apache to allow the 8080.

All the .conf files in /etc/httpd/conf.d have a virtualhost set to 80. The HDA dashboard page is probably set up the same way. Maybe look at the wiki guidance for doing secure dashboard access and it might point you to the files which may need changed.

Just a thought.

BTW, we kindly ask that you not re-post multiple times as it will not get you an answer quicker. I know we all want a quick response to our problems, but understand this is a user based forum. If someone does not know the solution or does not read the post, it will go unanswered.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Why do you want to change the port number? I am sure it's doable, but not sure where to point you. I would presume you have changed all the applicable .conf files and apache to allow the 8080.

All the .conf files in /etc/httpd/conf.d have a virtualhost set to 80. The HDA dashboard page is probably set up the same way. Maybe look at the wiki guidance for doing secure dashboard access and it might point you to the files which may need changed.

Just a thought.

BTW, we kindly ask that you not re-post multiple times as it will not get you an answer quicker. I know we all want a quick response to our problems, but understand this is a user based forum. If someone does not know the solution or does not read the post, it will go unanswered.
Sorry about the re-posting. Frankly, I didn't notice it 'til after I had actually posted it. Moreover, I didn't recall what I had said the last time I had posted (almost a month prior). I merely saw that there was no activity and fired off another post. Again, sorry.

As for why I wish to change the default port, I'd like NOT to hit the Amahi web-gui everytime I (or someone else) hits my site (hosted on the server at my home). I want someone to be able to hit my site on port 80 and not a login screen... I've been changing the default port to the Amahi web-gui via webmin. I think it works (kind of) 'cause as soon as I make the change, the web-gui is no longer accessible. Once I change it back to port 80 & restart Apache, I can once again get to the web-gui. So, I think I'm [partially] in the correct place but it seems as though there may be another place that needs to be tweaked.
Amahi HDA:
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:44 pm

There might be something in the conf files. Check out http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Access_HDA_over_SSL. It shows modifying one file to be virtualhost 443. Maybe that one is originally 80 and needs changed to be 8080.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

rkillcrazy

Postby rkillcrazy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:25 am

There might be something in the conf files. Check out http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Access_HDA_over_SSL. It shows modifying one file to be virtualhost 443. Maybe that one is originally 80 and needs changed to be 8080.
Yeah, I looked at this after reading your previous post. I've messed with this for hours and, while I got the default page to redirect off of 80 and go to the SSL page, no matter what I do, I cannot make it NOT answer to port 80 in the first place - which is the goal. I want to allow my own site to answer to port 80 - NOT the Amahi web-gui. If I cannot get this to work, I'll have to install VMware or VirtualBox so I can run a separate server as a guest and point the appropriate traffic to it. Frankly, it would be quite ridiculous if i had to resort to that. Amahi is, after all, essentially a web server! Why I can't tell it what site to serve up on port 80 is beyond me.

<rant>
I love this project and have used & followed it for years. Several of my friends now use it because of my recommendation. I have no qualms paying for the little "convenience apps" to keep it all going but the magic that happens under the hood can get quite frustrating at times. I wanted to move away from the "home.com" domain it was set up with but was told that I couldn't do that and would need to reload the server in order to accomplish that goal. Now, I can't tell the server what site to serve on port 80. I hate Windows and IIS but I have to work with it for my job. However, at times like these, I miss it 'cause this sort of stuff is not rocket-science.
</rant>
Amahi HDA:
HTPC:
  • Boxee Box
  • Popcorn Hour A-400

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:45 am

Well, I am sure it is possible to do but I am not aware of the procedures. Might consider coming to the IRC and seeking live help. If cpg is there, he or someone else may be able to help.

Did you create a web app that points to your web site? That is one way to do it. Create the app and put your site content in that dir. Then in the /etc/httpd/conf.d/####-wepapp.conf file you can add the user.yourhda.com.

When you do that, from the outside it will access that instead of the dashboard. Although Amahi is a web server, it handles the URL differently that the typical one. For example, most would be http://user.yourhda.com/app whereas Amahi leaves off the /app part. That is why doing this is more difficult.

Does that make sense.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager