Crowd financing cures pain of afp/Time Machine integration?

amahivirtual

Crowd financing cures pain of afp/Time Machine integration?

Postby amahivirtual » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:37 am

Hi there,

I am rather new to Amahi. At my home, we have a heterogeneous IT environment contain Windows and MacOSX clients. So I am really happy with the SMB integration in Amahi 6.1 but I feel somehow disappointed with the lack of a proper afp/Time Machine support and integration in Amahis web interface.

So I understand of what I could read from the wiki and several forum postings, that getting this done is not that easy and by far no one click app. On the the other hand, commercial NAS systems do offer this, even Windows Home Server 2011 seems to find a way to do this.

So I would like to suggest that one would start a crowd financing effort for bringing afp/Time Machine integration to Amahi 6.x. The effort should be orchestrated by the folks at the Amahi core team as well as the development should be led by them. And, to my point of view, afp/Time Machine integration could even evolve as paid Amahi app.

I would be really interested in comments and views of the community as well as of the Amahi core team or of the CEO.

Regards,
amahivirtual

vegaramos1

Re: Crowd financing cures pain of afp/Time Machine integrati

Postby vegaramos1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:18 pm

I too run a heterogenous environment at home. Would love to have Time Machine functionality on my HDA. Would gladly pay to have this feature on the HDA. However, I suspect the issue would be complicated by the fact that Time Machine is a moving target. Based on how many articles I've read about how this works on Ubuntu I think Time Machine will be set to change with Lion (as I believe it did with Snow Leopard). That being said, I would gladly contribute to any effort to bring this feature to Amahi.

amahivirtual

Postby amahivirtual » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:24 am

Dear vegaramos1,

indeed, Time Machine and with it Apple`s implementation of AFP is a moving target but it is not that fast. And, we are not alone with that. All "MacOSX friendly" commercial NAS providers have a need to support the actual AFP implementation as well as the open source projects netatalk and avahi do. And looking back, they did it well. But, this is sometimes cumbersome, especially in times of new MacOSX major releases but it is the best we could achieve at the moment I think.
Thank you for supporting the idea of afp/Time Machine integration.

Best regards,
amahivirtual

kcossabo

Postby kcossabo » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:17 pm

Me too..... 7 Mac's 2 Windows, and a Amahi server. Native AFP would be the reason to keep this. I can get an HP Home Server that does this, but not an open source :(

Also a iTunes Server that works with Macs......

luvmnky2

Postby luvmnky2 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:13 pm

I would be happy to support this effort. I have some software development experience, but not much beyond shell scripting on the linux platform. That said, as much enjoyment as I've gotten out of my HDA in the couple of months I've had it, it would be good to "give back".

From the technical perspective, I'd say it makes sense to shoot at the "stationary target" which is Leopard. Get that to work, and hopefully we will be looking at some sort of patch for Lion.