Improved platform release, more reliable installer!

cpg
Administrator

Improved platform release, more reliable installer!

Postby cpg » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Hi, I'm happy to announce our second instalment of the application installer.

We have just made a new release available for update (automatic update by default, it may take a couple of hours to be picked up).

This release, our second and final instalment for the application installer, has the following features and bugfixes:
  • More reliable installs. Some applications experienced problems with installation, some times. This new release should be smoother installation for all apps.
  • Applications now display a message indicating what step in the installation process it's at. We'd like to also update in the % downloaded, but that will come later. Due to the way that Ruby on Rails works, we have changed the way applications update the install process (before, it was inside a transaction, which caused the updates not be visible to anything outside, including the browser).
  • The installer prevents multiple installations at the same time, for better stability and consistency in installs.
  • VPN for 64 is handled properly by default now
  • A bunch of smaller bugs have been fixed
You can see the release activities and bugs fixed in our bug tracker's activity page.

Thanks to all, and in particular in the IRC channel for contributing, for reporting bugs, for helping fix them, for making your HDA available for remote debugging in some cases, for testing, more testing, and yet more testing :D

Last but not least, many thanks to our team of Application Contributors for providing and/or packaging applications for the whole community!

We have had nearly 1000 application installs so far and the feedback is great!

Be sure to do a post here in the forums or file a bug report (preferably) if you find any issues.

We have tried hard to make the improvements as invisible as possible from the existing installer. (You know you have this new installer if rpm -qa | egrep 'hdactl|hda-platform' tells you that you have hdactl-2.30-3 and hda-platform-2.7-3).

For the team,

cpg
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

rgmhtt

Re: Improved platform release, more reliable installer!

Postby rgmhtt » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:38 pm

I just tried a 'yum update' from a root login and got dependency errors:

--> Finished Dependency Resolution
rubygem-hoe-1.11.0-1.fc9.noarch from updates-newkey has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: rubygem(rake) >= 0.8.4 is needed by package rubygem-hoe-1.11.0-1.fc9.noarch (updates-newkey)
--> Running transaction check
---> Package kernel.i686 0:2.6.27.9-73.fc9 set to be erased
---> Package rubygem-hoe.noarch 0:1.11.0-1.fc9 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: rubygem(rake) >= 0.8.4 for package: rubygem-hoe
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
rubygem-hoe-1.11.0-1.fc9.noarch from updates-newkey has depsolving problems
--> Missing Dependency: rubygem(rake) >= 0.8.4 is needed by package rubygem-hoe-1.11.0-1.fc9.noarch (updates-newkey)
Error: Missing Dependency: rubygem(rake) >= 0.8.4 is needed by package rubygem-hoe-1.11.0-1.fc9.noarch (updates-newkey)

Please provide guidance...