Squeezebox server web control not playing

hypertense

Squeezebox server web control not playing

Postby hypertense » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:50 pm

I've installed Squeezebox server and tried using it to control a Squeezebox receiver. Although the Squeezebox web software picks up the receiver it will not play - it appears that communication isn't working properly as any played tracks stall in the first few seconds (I presume while trying to stream to the receiver).

I have also installed Squeezebox Server under Windows on one of my PCs and accessed my music share that way with no problems, so I know that the receiver works. The IP for my PC is 192.168.1.2 so that is what I configure the receiver with when using Windows and I redirect ports 9000 and 3483 to that address as required by the receiver.

My HDA sits at 192.168.1.20 so I altered my receiver settings to point there and changed the router to redirect ports 9000 and 3483 there as well.

As far as I can see that should be all I need to do, but maybe I've missed something.

Any suggestions anyone?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Squeezebox server web control not playing

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:25 pm

Not sure what else you could try. I do not use this app, but maybe a user out there can offer some help.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 am

My HDA sits at 192.168.1.20 so I altered my receiver settings to point there and changed the router to redirect ports 9000 and 3483 there as well.
Not sure what you are up to there. I have squeezecentre running with 7 devices and never had an issue with windows or linux.
You do not have to redirect ports etc on your router. 9000 is for the web interface and 3843 is for device detection etc.
You simply set your squeezecentre server up eg 192.168.1.3 and then add your clients eg boom onto the network and point them to the squeezecenter eg 192.168.1.3 and they will go. If they don't then you have some form of firwall or acl blocking the ports. Myself, I run pfSense with vlans so my setup is a little more complex where I have to adjust the firewall rules etc but a normal bog standard router eg dlink etc will not have to do this.

hypertense

Postby hypertense » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:19 pm

lou1z, thanks for your reply.
Not sure what you are up to there. I have squeezecentre running with 7 devices and never had an issue with windows or linux.
You do not have to redirect ports etc on your router. 9000 is for the web interface and 3843 is for device detection etc.
You simply set your squeezecentre server up eg 192.168.1.3 and then add your clients eg boom onto the network and point them to the squeezecenter eg 192.168.1.3 and they will go. If they don't then you have some form of firwall or acl blocking the ports. Myself, I run pfSense with vlans so my setup is a little more complex where I have to adjust the firewall rules etc but a normal bog standard router eg dlink etc will not have to do this.
I can see what you're saying but I redirected the ports as Logitech themselves recommend this (plus I can then use mysqueezebox.com if my machines are switched off).

Without this redirection the receiver would not connect properly to the squeezecenter server. With this redirection I can use the squeezecenter server if set up on my Windows PC.

The problem is that the squeezecenter server does not work on the HDA.

It doesn't appear to be a firewall issue as the server finds the receiver if I redirect ports to the squeezecenter server on the HDA - it just refuses to stream to the receiver. Anything I try to play stalls, regardless of whether I have any firewall on or off and I have no firewall issues with any other program.

I'd like to know if anyone is running this successfully on Fedora 14/Amahi 6 and if so what version of Squeezecenter is being used - at least this would give me something to start with.

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:41 pm

sorry for the late reply to this. i wouldn't pay much attention to logitech. sounds like you've got their first level of support.
i've run squeezeboxserver from windows server 2003, 2008r2, fedora 11,12,13,14 (minimal install) centos 4,5 (minimal install) freebsd 7,8 (base install, from ports) and never had an issue. this has been with various networks and the one i'm running on now has 5 vlans so not a simple network as such.
i've never had to redirect ports. not sure if your terminology is clear here. port redirection is used on nat to redirect a public open port to a private port eg port 21 on the wan to 2000 on the lan (as you have an ftp server listening on port 2000 on your lan)
it has nothing to do with your squeezeboxserver listening on your lan. if you are redirecting ports, you have opened your firewall externally so outside users (those not on your private lan) can connect to your squeezeboxserver which is not good. if you have actually redirected ports from your wan to lan, i'd seriously think about undoing it or putting a password on your squeezeboxserver otherwise somebody will be on it before you know it.
squeezeboxserver should simply be installed on a lan. it will then advertise itself and listen on its standard ports and the clients (your slim devices) will simply be discovered. after that, they should just play. if your clients are discovered and simply don't play, then you have a firewall or permissions issue or possibly a wireless issue as i'm not sure how your clients are connected. if wireless, are your client privacy settings ok? ie can wireless clients talk to other clients or servers?

you can get expert advice from slimdevices.com (redirects to logitech as they bought them out) but go to the forum. plenty of advice there from developers etc.

hypertense

Postby hypertense » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:15 pm

lou1z,

I understand your point about port redirection and had in fact disabled it since my last post.

Your suggestion that it is probably a firewall issue is a valid one, but I am not running a firewall on the server or router and I have already tried disabling the firewalls on my PCs while testing Squeezebox. In addition, I have no problems with any other apps that I have installed, even when I enable my PC firewalls.

I'll try the slimdevices.com forum as you suggested.

Thanks.

hypertense

Postby hypertense » Sat May 07, 2011 3:28 am

After messing around with several settings, updating Fedora and reinstalling Squeezeserver I can now stream MP3 and internet radio to my Receiver. However I still cannot play AAC files. This is a problem as most of my ripped music is in AAC format. I assume this is something to do with the encoding of the files as they are transmitted to the receiver via the Linux version of the Squeezebox server software. The same files on the HDA play perfectly when accessed via the Windows version of Squeezeboxserver.

Any suggestions gratefully received as I've spent far too much time on this already.

hypertense

Postby hypertense » Thu May 12, 2011 11:10 pm

I've now found the solution to Squeezebox Server not playing AAC files. I just typed yum install glib.i686, waited for that to finish and then playback of AAC files was not a problem.

I didn't try this before because I had glib.i686 installed under Fedora 12 and assumed that the upgrade process to Fedora 14 would have carried this over. At my age I should know never to assume anything.