Adding Mythtv support

wtalking

Adding Mythtv support

Postby wtalking » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:24 am

Well i have been using amahi for close to a year and i think you guys are on the right track.

I am not a developer/programmer/or someone who has a clue.
I sell satellite tv internet and install networks for large corps. I also do asterisk systems and mythtv for high end home theater clients.

I have Mythtv running on my amahi server. and may i add my 2 cents to make doing this a little easier for the rest of us

1: have the installer script for amahi add the repositories for myth including the svn updates
2: during the install of amahi make it possible to tell amahi that there is already a mysql administator setup. If one were to install a distro like Mythdora or build myth from repositories before installling amahi you would already have setup an administrator account for mysql, being able to tell amahi what it is and have amahi build a second user and database automatically would make things go a little smoother./// or have the installer allow you to create a user and password of your choice.
3: all of this plus support for amahi on ubutu because mythtv in my opinion is better integrated into ubuntu
4; or support for fedoora 10 because mytbuntu 10:21 has been released and seems pretty goood.

Here is what i did to get it going on an existing amahi server (short version)
add the repositories
installl it
reconfigure myth to use existing database user and password
pull my hair out wind my rear and scratch my watch for 2 days 12 hours a day
viola it worked
In all seriousness after figuring out how to do it it wasnt that hard. Afew days later I bought a quad core phenom2 bare bones system for under 400 bucks because amahi in my home was running on a 2ghz p4 and i wanted more hp for the system. the second time around it wasnt to hard to do. After amahi was up and running it only took about 1.5 hours to download install and configure.

by default mythbuntu and mythdora create a mysql user and database and password all the same * mythtv * I really have no clue how your new one click app install works but possibly you could make one that:
1 installs the repositories
2 downloads all of the mythtv packages
3 creates a new database user MYTHTV and sets the Password as MYTHTV and then creates a database of the same name
If all of this could be done automatically the only thing left woudl be to run mythconfig which anyone that installs a myth distro like knoppmyth mythdora or mythbuntu would have to do anyway

I know this post is a bit scatterbrained but i just did a network cutover in a dupont research lab with over 500 clients and i have been awake for 48 hours. Im in the front seat of my truck and i am going get some sleep before i drive home.
If i can help in any way to develope something let me know. I dont think i will be much help though im a hardware guy not a software guy

cpg
Administrator

Re: Adding Mythtv support

Postby cpg » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:25 am

most excellent!

basically the one click app system is essentially a web-driven version of what you have done.

except it replicates seamlessly to all amahi hdas whose owners chose to install it ;-)

yesterday we had our very first database-backed app running (piwik).

at this point we have a fair bit of complex apps and mythtv (the back-end at least) will work soon enough!

thanks for the tips. we will make use of them once we get on that.

incidentally, if you would like to attempt to own the packaging of the mythtv backend app, we'll be happy to let you own it.

we rencely posted some guidelines for app packager/maintainers as we solidify on the process. you will see that not much is needed beyond what you did.

also we'll be happy to help, as mythtv is quite in demand among our users.

to add an app:

1) send me a PM or email support or catch one of the core team in irc and ask to join the contributors program
2) login to your control panel and add the app after being accepted into the program.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

wtalking

Postby wtalking » Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:45 am

wow I just woke up and read my previous post.. Kudos to anyone that actually understood what the heck I was trying to say.

plonka2000

Postby plonka2000 » Wed May 06, 2009 11:40 am

Hi,

has there been any news on this yet?
I'm one of those who are EAGERLY awaiting this feature as well as:

1. Ubuntu Support
2. VMWare Server x64 (Free version) Support

Thanks guys.

I'm currently a home-build who custom-constructed my own home server using Ubuntu Server as a base to do all the home server things I need, but I want to use Amahi. I think the Amahi team has the right idea about what a home server really needs as I've been repeatedly dissapointed with other efforts (LinuxMCE or WHS anyone?).

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed May 06, 2009 12:29 pm

hi plonka2000,

mythtv backend is in alpha testing.

unfortunately it cannot be 100% one-click, because:
  • the capture card needs to be setup with its drivers, etc. (in my case i like the HD HomeRun, no drivers, dual tuner)
  • the guide data needs to be setup (http://schedulesdirect.org in north america)
  • then the backend needs to be setup
what we're doing is putting mythweb as the main interface, which is a web based front-end. then you can add other front-ends, say to your HTPC, etc. (or you could have it all in one box)

we can simplify things a lot, though.

this is probably the most complex app so far.

if you join amahi's tester program you can help test it first before it gets released out.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

plonka2000

Postby plonka2000 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:46 am

Hi again everyone.

I'm coming back to this thread in order to find out how Amahi's support for Ubuntu and MythTV is coming along.

I applied to be a beta tester some months ago (Check date of my last post) but I never got an invite.

I'd love to be an Ubuntu beta tester.

Can anyone provide updates on the points I asked about some time ago?

1. Ubuntu Support
2. VMWare Server (free version) x64 installation & stability
3. MythTV backend support on Amahi

Thanks again.

rampage537

Postby rampage537 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:43 am

Can anyone provide updates on the points I asked about some time ago?

1. Ubuntu Support
2. VMWare Server (free version) x64 installation & stability
3. MythTV backend support on Amahi
1. I know the Ubuntu development is moving slow :( if you know anyone that may be able to help send them this way.
2. VMWare Server right now does not play well with F12, VMWare has never supported fedora only redhat. VMWare is a little behind on supporting the kernel version that F12 has. I have spent the last 4 days trying to get it to work with very little success, I am looking into Xen, KVM and virtualbox
3. I know some people have worked on MythTv in the past, maybe bigfoot65 has done more on this or maybe you can get with bigfoot65 and work on it together, I would love to have mythtv as a one-click :D
Testmaster Manager
Amahi HDA Custom Dual 2.7 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 (667MHz) Ram, 80GB HDD for OS + 1TB and 320GB HDD for Share Drives