Amahi and Fedora 14

mhedhli

Amahi and Fedora 14

Postby mhedhli » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:28 pm

So I got a trick or treat email on halloween saying Amahi will work with Fedora 14... I just discovered Amahi and am very excited to get started but I am holding off for the Fedora 14 version to be released. Hopefully any day now that Fedora 14 is live.

Fedora 14 has a method for installing using BTRFS as the file system. If I install with BTRFS will I be able to manage volumes and storage pools from within the Amahi web interface?

Any ideas on when Amahi for fedora 14 will be ready?

I currently am an avid user of FreeNAS but amahi seems to bring more to the table... BTRFS support would make it an interesting choice for home server/NAS especially as the file system matures.

-M

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi and Fedora 14

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:00 am

Hello,

We are diligently working the Amahi integration with Fedora 14. We hope to have it ready in the next few weeks, barring any real serious issues. If you are interested in helping test, we will be asking for that soon.

We have a feature called Greyhole (http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Greyhole) that already takes care of managing drives and storage pools with the current linux file system. It is available in the Amahi Fedora 12 version.

I am sure they work in very similar ways. However, there is no plan to integrate BTRFS with the Amahi at this point. Since we have Greyhole, it is not needed. It could require a lot of code change, which would further delay the Amahi release.

There tends to be more complex issues when using new file systems. Last I read on this, it is still experimental. The current file system layout used is more stable and common throughout the linux community. In my book, just plain safer.

I did notice that the BTRFS (http://rubyurl.com/RqNc) is not enabled by default on install and is experimental. It also has it's own desktop GUI. We tend to not develop on existing features like this one, especially if they are desktop supported. Maybe one day when Fedora has a web GUI for it, there may be a demand for it in Amahi. For now, I would say Greyhole is our primary solution for drive/storage pool management.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

mhedhli

Postby mhedhli » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:20 pm

Thanks for the thorough and prompt answer. I hope to see integration one day as BTRFS matures.

Greyhole seems interesting and I look forward to using it but more advanced features like dedup and write on cache should be handled by the file system... ZFS does this fantastically.

I think a file system like ZFS could be something that would promote Amahi's popularity instantly. Who wouldn't want a home server with SAN features like snapshotting etc?

MeeGo is using BTRFS as the default file system and that seems to be a linux release with a lot of backing by major players. That gives me a little more confidence in an experimental filesystem especially as BTRFS matures and the list of features grows.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:34 am

See http://forums.amahi.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=1975 for info on helpng test Fedora 14 for Amahi.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

dalben

Postby dalben » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:15 pm

It's a shame Btrfs and Zfs aren't in Amahi's plans. It's the one thing stopping me jumping on the Amahi's platform. Any serious nas type service needs to have a serious fs t it's core. Greyhole just doesn't Cut it for me.

I'm now looking at frenas 8 and the omv release because of the choice of enterprise like fs hey use or plan to use. It's a shame because I love he Amahi's server concept with its integration of services, but at the and of the day, what most important is data integrity

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

ghstryder

Postby ghstryder » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:19 pm

Is FreeNAS hiring trolls? I don't see implementing btrfs to be something that Amahi should be doing. I would much rather see the underlying OS handle that. In the meantime, I'll keep myself occupied by finding year-old threads to revive.

sgtfoo

Postby sgtfoo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Please learn to differentiate between a drive pooling system and a file system. They are different things. Greyhole is not an alternative to btrfs or ext4/3/2 or ntfs. It interacts with those to achieve a goal.
SgtFoo
HDA: VM inside oVirt FX-8300 95w (2 cores for HDA), 32GB RAM (2GB for HDA)
My PC: FX-8300, 16GB RAM, 3x 1TB HDDs, Radeon HD6970 2GB video; Win10 Pro x64
Other: PC, Asus 1215n (LXLE), Debian openZFS server (3x(2x2tb) mirrors)
Modem&Network: Thomson DCM475; Asus RT-AC66U; HP 1800-24G switch