What's the best distro for Amahi?

Mickerik

What's the best distro for Amahi?

Postby Mickerik » Tue May 25, 2010 5:53 pm

Not putting any pressure on the devs etc, but wondering what the general opinion is.

Fedora (current)
Ubuntu
CentOS
Arch
Mandriva
Gentoo
Other (please state)
Edit BrandonK1989: Polls are not working, please just post what you currently would have voted for until this issue is sorted out.
Last edited by Mickerik on Wed May 26, 2010 5:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

moredruid
Expert

Re: What's the best distro for Amahi?

Postby moredruid » Wed May 26, 2010 1:49 am

weird... I'm unable to vote (at least I can't vote for CentOS ;) )
echo '16i[q]sa[ln0=aln100%Pln100/snlbx]sbA0D2173656C7572206968616D41snlbxq' | dc
Galileo - HP Proliant ML110 G6 quad core Xeon 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 2x750GB RAID1 + 2x1TB RAID1 HDD

Mickerik

Postby Mickerik » Wed May 26, 2010 5:37 am

Doesn't work for me either. :shock:
I'll report it..... somewhere :?:

polaris20

Postby polaris20 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:15 am

Definitely Ubuntu Server. No GUI, no desktop apps of any kind, just lean OS.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:06 pm

doesn't really matter :D

many people would like ubuntu, clearly.

i can't vote either! the submitted form is invalid!

what's going on? anyone experienced in phpbb voting?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

cale250

Postby cale250 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:39 pm

I like Ubuntu because I'm developing the Amahi platform for it. :D

Anyways, Ubuntu has superior hardware support, and indeed a very lean server version. And their latest LTS release is just awesome. The only thing I don't really like is how complicated packaging proper Debian packages files is, with no real tutorials out there on how to do it. :?

If anyone is interested in the Ubuntu version, stop by on IRC and look for cale250. You can also check out the Ubuntu page(s) on the Wiki and track our progress on http://launchpad.net/amahi , especially the bazaar (source version control) page at https://code.launchpad.net/~amahi-drive ... amahibuntu.

Mickerik

Postby Mickerik » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:50 pm

I like Ubuntu because I'm developing the Amahi platform for it. :D

Anyways, Ubuntu has superior hardware support, and indeed a very lean server version. And their latest LTS release is just awesome. The only thing I don't really like is how complicated packaging proper Debian packages files is, with no real tutorials out there on how to do it. :?
Thanks Cale, a choice must surely enhance the appeal, and hardware support has been the bane of my life regarding Fedora. Though strangely, the new express CD has cured that and I've installed no probs.

I would say Ubuntu server, which I'm currently messing about with via webmin, or CentOS, which also works for me.

servalan

Postby servalan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:21 am

Good hardware detection is a must, but for use as a dedicated server, this really only extends to motherboards, memory, drives (inc. RAID etc.), network and wireless cards plus basic mouse and monitor drivers.

Recent Linux distros using kernel 2.6 have, as I understand it, already lost a fair amount of legacy hardware support that is only available in 2.4, so newer does not necassarily equal better in this respect.

I would prefer to see amahi running on one of the really lightweight distros like DSL or Puppy, as there is no need for all the bloat that comes with a standard desktop release, which is probably running a whole bunch of unecessary services. YMMV, as some people are running Amahi on a desktop machine, but really that's another whole ball game.

Failing that, the Ubuntu Server Edition would seem to be ideal.

msdobrescu

Postby msdobrescu » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi, newbie here.
I look for a NAS + media center distro.

I vote for Mandriva support. It is one of the major distros and has a plethora of packages. This one would be a valuable addition to it.

Regards,
Mike

nogaz

Postby nogaz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:43 am

opensolaris (zfs) :ugeek: