Amahi crashed after Fedora update :(

mehmetb

Amahi crashed after Fedora update :(

Postby mehmetb » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

Unfortunately, Amahi crashed after fedora update. Looks like it was a release update, because I see Fedora 13, not 12. I don't even have X11 at the moment. Just a cursor. I have DHCP tough, so I can at least connect to internet. Also http://hda now returns:

Code: Select all

Ruby on Rails could not be started
I will now try what is recommended:

Error message: Missing the Rails 2.3.4 gem. Please `gem install -v=2.3.4 rails`, update your RAILS_GEM_VERSION setting in config/environment.rb for the Rails version you do have installed, or comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION to use the latest version installed.
Still, even if I make this work, I don't know how to fix all other problems. I would not like a crippled, hardly-working system, even tough some of the functionality is there.

What would be a good point to start fixing these issues? What log files should I be looking at? Is there anybody there who performed the update and experienced similar problems?

Thanks so much!
Last edited by mehmetb on Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cpg
Administrator

Re: Amahi crashed after Fedora udpate :(

Postby cpg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:44 am

I see Fedora 13, not 12
whoa. where exactly do you see that?

did you enable the "rawhide" repo? that is the only explanation i can see.

grep enabled /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-rawhide.repo
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

mehmetb

Postby mehmetb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:46 pm

I see Fedora 13, not 12
whoa. where exactly do you see that?

did you enable the "rawhide" repo? that is the only explanation i can see.

grep enabled /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-rawhide.repo
I see "Fedora 13" at startup screen, you know, the blue and white (and weird) progress bar. I have not enabled the rawhide repo, at least not manually (editing the repo file), that's why I was very much surprised to see that I upgraded to the test release. I don't want speculate but I installed the RPM fusion packages just before this happened to test the new DLNA server (which works flawlessly BTW!!). Do you think they might have somehow enabled these repos?

I was so happy with Amahi that I formatted the system and installed everything from scratch, so I have it up and working now. So I cannot try grepping for the repo anymore. I wish I could 'clone' the image at this point... I know there are tools for that but I don't know large enough a drive to keep the image. Still, I would very much appreciate any suggestions which tools to use, in case I have a new hard drive...

I am really hoping same thing does not happen again. And thanks for your reply!

mehmetb

Postby mehmetb » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 pm

After the fresh install, the Fedora updater is bugging me with a huge list of updates. I am willing to give it a go, but I would not like the same thing to happen again. I grepped for all the repos (attached), looks like rawhide is not enabled. I would really appreciate if you could have a look at the list and tell me if it's safe... Thanks a lot in advance!
Attachments
enabledrepos.txt
(1.34 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:45 pm

looks ok to me. there is no way you could have gotten fedora 13 without enabling the rawhide repos, methinks.

just to make sure, i just updated to the latest myself and all went well. i even got a new kernel and rebooted and everything is ok.

$ head -1 /etc/issue Fedora release 12 (Constantine)
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

mehmetb

Postby mehmetb » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:38 pm

looks ok to me. there is no way you could have gotten fedora 13 without enabling the rawhide repos, methinks.

just to make sure, i just updated to the latest myself and all went well. i even got a new kernel and rebooted and everything is ok.
Yes, I must have enabled the rawhide repository somehow. Good thing I destroyed the evidence :) Since now I am better trained to format the machine and set everything up again, I will give the updates a try.

Thanks!

NZmde

Postby NZmde » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:10 pm

I just hit this same issue after doing a Fedora update, however I didn't get upgraded to Fedora 13.

The error message I got was:
Ruby on Rails application could not be started
The application has exited during startup (i.e. during the evaluation of config/environment.rb). The error message can be found below. To solve this problem, please follow any instructions in the error message.

Error message:
Missing the Rails 2.3.4 gem. Please `gem install -v=2.3.4 rails`, update your RAILS_GEM_VERSION setting in config/environment.rb for the Rails version you do have installed, or comment out RAILS_GEM_VERSION to use the latest version installed.
Running the install (running "gem install -v=2.3.4 rails") fixed the problem.

ehupp

Postby ehupp » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:08 pm

I had the same problem but had to use a slightly different version of code to get the rails package to re-install.

In case someone else runs into the problem in the future as root:

gem install rails -v=2.3.4

oldcyberdude

Postby oldcyberdude » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I just got the same error page from Ruby on Rails after a recent Fedora 12 update. The gem install did the trick.

njtuneguy

Postby njtuneguy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:25 am

Performed an upgrade myself today (with a little anxiety) due to kernel crashes... even though the system keeps functioning. I think the crashes might have to do with either 1)software raid 0, or 2)VNC config issues. Either way the upgrade went off w/out a hitch :)

@ mehmetb and cpg:
I grepped for all the repos (attached), looks like rawhide is not enabled.
Not sure if this is an alternative way to find everything about which repos are enabled but it seems to work:

yum repolist
The output seems fairly easy to read/decipher, and it's easy enough to do before any updates.
Headless HDA: Fedora 12, AMDx2 3800+, 4gb DDR 3200, 40gb HDD (Boot & 8.4gb Swap, mounted at "/boot"), 2x1tb 7200rpm HDD SoftwareRaid-0 (mounted at "/"). Linksys WRT54G v.5, 100mbit LAN to HDA. WLAN clients: Macbook 2,1 OSX 10.6.2; Windows XP SP3. Comcast 15mbit.