Amahi on Ubuntu?

Lincee

Amahi on Ubuntu?

Postby Lincee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi all.

I would like to know, if there's a broad interest in porting amahi to Ubuntu (or other, debian based distro's)
and if there's people in this forum who have ubuntu knowledge?
maybe that could help us make the switch!

also, if you have any idea's regarding the matter, please discuss them here.
idea's like, how do we atrackt people, or where to find more info about it..

Regards,
LANTEA: Amahi 7 (vm), HP Proliant Microserver, 8GB RAM, 2x 1TB HDD, 1GB eth

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Amahi on Ubuntu?

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:36 pm

I am very interested in an Ubuntu port of Amahi. I used Ubuntu for several years until moving to Amahi. I would be more than happy to try and help get it going again.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

Lincee

Postby Lincee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:55 pm

I am very interested in an Ubuntu port of Amahi. I used Ubuntu for several years until moving to Amahi. I would be more than happy to try and help get it going again.
do you have any expirience in the deeper workings of ubuntu? ;)
i was mailing with cpg.. perhaps we can breakdown the project into sections that need work on..
Installer first, dashboard second.. that sort of stuff :)

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Not a lot. I was able to set up my own server with mail and webmin, accessible outside my LAN. I used to play a lot like with Amahi, but no expert.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

pjcrux

Postby pjcrux » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:28 pm

I too am interested in the Ubuntu port. However much of what is required to port to a debian architecture means there are not a lot of individuals who have the time or knowledge.
Community Advocate
HP Proliant Micro Server N40L, AMD Turion II Neo x2 1.5GHz;
8GB ECC-DDR3; 250GB for OS, 3x1TB.

"Experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions"
-James Madison, Federalist Paper No. 51

Lincee

Postby Lincee » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:50 pm

I too am interested in the Ubuntu port. However much of what is required to port to a debian architecture means there are not a lot of individuals who have the time or knowledge.
i would agree.. however, if we would go with the LTS versions, we would have.. a long time.. to figure out the next step ;)
once the first ubuntu/amahi version is running, its a whole lot easier to maintain, said if there are no big platform related changes to Amahi..
but even so, with LTS, we'd have time to figure it out long before the next release would be there.
plus.. once its running, and more people find out, there's bound to be some pro's who bump into it, and might like the idea!

afterall.. many big projects start out as small patches ;)

it would be a blast if we could get it up and about over night.. but i hardly think thats possible, so lets just first start documenting as much as possible,
devide the tasks, and go from there?

rome wasnt build in a day either, and it took tokio quite a few years to become the growing metropole it now is ;)

marcel

Postby marcel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:18 am

I'm also interested in a port to Ubuntu server. I have little knowledge of Linux, but i like to play, experiment with Linux. I have experiment with Ubuntu a couple of times. Thats all experience i have of Ubuntu...
My HDA cpu: E1400 2Ghz; motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H; memory: Team 2Gb DDR2; 200GB OS HDD, 2x western digital GP 1TB storage HDDs; case: Antec P182

Lincee

Postby Lincee » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:07 pm

I'm also interested in a port to Ubuntu server. I have little knowledge of Linux, but i like to play, experiment with Linux. I have experiment with Ubuntu a couple of times. Thats all experience i have of Ubuntu...
do you still have ubuntu running?
if so.. perhaps you can try to install the packages amahi requires.. if you succeed, you can build amahi from source, and share all errors you run into?

after the weekend, i'll have a pc with ubuntu at the ready!

marcel

Postby marcel » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:37 pm

No i have not a running system, but i can install Ubuntu Server on a old computer. Whats the starting point? We use Ubuntu Server 8.04 LTS Server? 32bit or 64bit? Is there a list what packages Amahi uses?

btw we also can do this in a virtual machine (Virtualbox).
My HDA cpu: E1400 2Ghz; motherboard: Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H; memory: Team 2Gb DDR2; 200GB OS HDD, 2x western digital GP 1TB storage HDDs; case: Antec P182

rampage537

Postby rampage537 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:46 pm

I would probably first get ruby on rails installed and working.
Then you will have to see what packages amahi uses and make sure they are installed
then you will probably have to start looking at the code and change it to reference the debian based packages.

that is my best guess
Testmaster Manager
Amahi HDA Custom Dual 2.7 GHz, 3 GB DDR2 (667MHz) Ram, 80GB HDD for OS + 1TB and 320GB HDD for Share Drives