Also Confused.. The apps that appear FREE (no price) how to install

Tcichowicz

Also Confused.. The apps that appear FREE (no price) how to install

Postby Tcichowicz » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:00 am

I just don't see any way to select the APP I want to install -- How do I install the free apps such as Calibre & OpenVPN ??

I have a couple I want to try out on my new setup server... before I decide if I want to use Amahi at all.

so far there are allot of confusing aspects of this setup so far.

the first is that I didn't know what user to login in with apon the first login to the Amahi server /hda

it had the button Create? I created a user during the install of Fedora (also administrator account) -- tried that and said no such user. However the setup page seems to be letting me set things up???

so far I'm not impressed. I presently use OMV -- and may be sticking with it.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Also Confused.. The apps that appear FREE (no price) how to install

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 6:23 am

Apps are not installed from the web site. For those with a fee, you purchase them there. The actual app install is done from the HDA dashboard, Available Apps tab.

Sorry to hear things are confusing for you.

We appreciate feedback and have done some work to document how to use things more for users. Recommend you check out Setup tab breakdown in the wiki.

Hopefully that will help. We need some new users such as yourself to help document the use of Amahi better.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:22 am

As @bigfoot65 pointed out, all apps available to your HDA for install are under Setup > Apps > Available.

Initially, all apps available without a fee will be there in your HDA ready to install. If you buy apps that have a fee on the Amahi website, they will appear in your HDA, also under Setup > Apps > Available.

About the user -- there is a step in the instructions to create a user (along with root). Use this username with the exact same capitalization you used to create it. Same with the password. This seems to be what seems to trip people up coming from other environments (notably, Windows where things are not case sensitive often, unlike in the Linux world).

If you have access to the machine via console (or ssh), you can see the exact user by listing the /home directory with

Code: Select all

ls -l /home
. If there is nothing there, there is no user created.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

Tcichowicz

Postby Tcichowicz » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:06 am

there are NO apps available on that page ... ??

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:10 am

It could be that there is a networking issue in that system. It could also be that there is an active firewall in the network.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

Tcichowicz

Postby Tcichowicz » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:12 am

my server is up and running .. so there is a network connection

Tcichowicz

Postby Tcichowicz » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:17 am

the only possible firewall would be on the Ferora 21 install?

or my router -- which has never been an issue --- is there somewhere in the installtion instruction that talk about opening anything (ports) for this?

Tcichowicz

Postby Tcichowicz » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:57 am

yeah I'm there ... it says;

"There are no applications available at this time."

there is a link "Get Apps"

I click that and it puts me in the place I already was.. at website that shows apps that are installable, I assume. However there is nothing to select the app to install or download or anything.

If you provide a link to an external website; from the apps setup page that says Get Apps ... aren't you pointing me in that direction?

how do I get them to be available to be installed?

Tcichowicz

Postby Tcichowicz » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:58 am

here is a screenshot showing the current logged in user....

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:32 pm

Unfortunately, I do not know.

Without a lot more detail (which we'd have to spend a lot more time on), I do not know why there is no access to the apps from Amahi.org. Typically there would be a few dozen apps listed there.

It works out of the box on a clean install, as we test this regularly. It's possible the system does not match the profile set up in amahi.org. Hard to tell without a lot more digging in detail, sorry.

Looks like you were able to login for the first time with a user. Good.

If reinstalling is a possibility, that may be much quicker.