External Access Woes

abananaman

External Access Woes

Postby abananaman » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:19 pm

Hey all- banging my head against a wall over here. To get it out of the way, yes, I've checked the "Hosting a Website" wiki and searched everywhere, and haven't been able to resolve my problem.

I have a dynamic dns service set up. I have multiple subdomains configured. I have 2 apps (jinzora and owncloud) configured to connect with specific subdomains (jinzora.my.domain.com and owncloud.my.domain.com).

When I go to the root domain (my.domain.com) I get the Amahi login page. Good. When I try to login, I get a 403 forbidden. Bad.

If I try to access either of the 2 subdomains, I get a 403 forbidden. Bad.

When I configured Jinzora to use the root domain, I would get the Jinzora login page. When I tried to login, I'd get a 403 forbidden page.

I cannot figure out how to fix this- permissions, from what I can tell, look ok, but I'm not sure I'm checking everything correctly. I'm at a loss.

Help?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: External Access Woes

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:59 pm

You need to set up CNAMES with your dnynamic DNS provider. Using the Amahi dynamic DNS will only allow for one app. Apps also will not work via the dashboard. The wiki page you mentioned does outline that somewhat. I had mine set up previously with minimal issues using that guidance.

As an alternative, you could VPN into your server from outside, then it would behave just like you were inside the local network.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

abananaman

Postby abananaman » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:35 am

I have cnames set up according to the document. They point to the correct location according to the wiki, I still get a 403 Forbidden. As I stated before, I followed the instructions on the wiki, and I'm still having trouble. Which is why I posted here :D

I have a VPN set up already, which works great, but I also would like to get these two apps without the VPN for situations where I can't set up a VPN.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:21 pm

I realize you followed the wiki, but there may be something missing from that guidance. Have you checked with your dynamic DNS provider to see if they have any setup instructions?

Here's what I did on mine:
  1. In ####-app.conf add:
    ServerAlias app.domain.com
  2. Add on Dynamic DNS Host:
    CNAME web site = *.domain.com
    A Record = to your ISP IP Address
    CNAME = username.yourhda.com
  3. Forward port 80 on router to HDA IP address
Legend:
app = app short URL name
domain.com= dynamic DNS domain name
username = your amahi.org profile name.

If your ISP IP address is not static, you will need to add a dynamic DNS update script to the HDA. Most providers will have guidance on this available.

Hope this helps.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2