Can't login to apps

bigmango

Can't login to apps

Postby bigmango » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:51 am

Hi,

I have installed ajaxplorer and loganalyzer. When I start the apps I get to the app page and there's a login box on top of the app. But when I enter my username and password it doesn't work.

I have searched all over the wiki and google for hours but couldn't find any help.

Everything else works fine (Amahi webui, greyhole on 5 disks, shares from PC, shares mounted locally, etc...).

Thanks.

radioz

Re: Can't login to apps

Postby radioz » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:29 pm

When you first start them, most apps have a username of 'admin' (and possibly a password of 'admin' I think). One you get them configured they usually have a way of adding other usernames. Note that application usernames are actually separate from the usernames added to Linux/Amahi.

Sorry, I'm a little rusty at setting up applications since I haven't done it in a long time.

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:37 am

Great, username/password admin fixed the problem.

It is strange that there is no info available in the wiki. As I said I have spent 2 days searching all over the place, the wiki, the forums and google. Hours lost for nothing.

From an end user point of view this should be labeled back to beta until it is fixed. The app install scripts should either ask the user to enter the new password, or at least display some info on the screen to let people know that they have to use admin/admin.

After 2 days of editing config files manually everything including utorrent server, sabnzbd and the amahi energy saver is working great on a 5 disk pool. End user wise amahi is still years behind the old WHS, but technically it's a really great system once setup properly (it just needs time and patience, which people who are not passionate about IT don't have for things like this). :D

I think the first thing amahi needs is to get a proper automatic drive add/remove interface without going through this fstab and blkid nonsense. Once this basic feature is there (and perhaps an automatic mount shares locally by default without the manual nonsense) Amahi can then begin to be a true competitor. ;)

Many thanks for your help!

radioz

Postby radioz » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:59 am

I'm glad you got it sorted out!

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:51 am

bigmango...the login credentials for apps is listed after you install the app. Right above the web link, it will say initial user and password. If you go to installed apps and expand one, say Log Analyzer, you will see it there.

Sorry you had difficulty finding it, but there is nothing wrong with the apps. The login credentials are clearly listed, but we realize it can be overlooked. Any recommendation on where to put it? Most apps have their own internal user store, so its not possible to incorporate the HDA existing users. Hence why we often choose admin/admin. Then you can change it to something more suitable to your environment.

As for Amahi being competitive, I believe it is now. While having the gui driven dismount is ideal, it does take time to add features of this magnitude. Please keep in mind we are a small team of volunteers who support this project. While we strive to do our best, we realize the needs of the users.

We appreciate your feedback and understanding.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:48 pm

bigmango...the login credentials for apps is listed after you install the app. Right above the web link, it will say initial user and password. If you go to installed apps and expand one, say Log Analyzer, you will see it there.
Ah yes! You are right; I never though of going there to look for the info.

So you have to:
1. Open Amahi console
2. Click on setup to open the setup
3. Click on Apps to see the availalbe apps list
4. Click on Installed to see the installed apps
5. Click on the installed app, and there the username/password is listed...

I think you can see the complexity for a new user like me :) .... instead I searched the wiki , the forums and google for 2 days :lol:
Sorry you had difficulty finding it, but there is nothing wrong with the apps. The login credentials are clearly listed, but we realize it can be overlooked. Any recommendation on where to put it? Most apps have their own internal user store, so its not possible to incorporate the HDA existing users. Hence why we often choose admin/admin. Then you can change it to something more suitable to your environment.
I understand.

I think it would be nice to have the information about where to look for the username/password in the wiki.

Perhaps at the top of the Apps Directory page, something like :"Newly installed apps use a default username and password, these can be found when clicking on the Apps name in the installed Apps list in the hda setup page".

As for Amahi being competitive, I believe it is now. While having the gui driven dismount is ideal, it does take time to add features of this magnitude. Please keep in mind we are a small team of volunteers who support this project. While we strive to do our best, we realize the needs of the users.

We appreciate your feedback and understanding.
Yes, what you guys are doing is great. I am keeping Amahi as my home server. once installed it works nicely and greyhole is better than the windows DE.

As I said, imho, 2 of the next priorities for Amahi should be:

1. adding a drive should be automatic, like WHS. (advanced users could still have an option to do it by themselves if they need anything special). I am sure a script can replace what is explained in the wiki.... and once you have a script you add a web page to it (in the webui).

2. mount shares locally should be included in Amahi and started by the system automatically. If it is not possible to get the username/password automatically, then have it ask for this information the first time it is started. And I am sure this can also be done via the webui, so the user doesn't need to get his hands "dirty" with the command line.

Thanks for your help.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for the clarification. When you install an app, look at the page from which you installed and you will see the credentials too.

As for the mount local shares being installed and started automatically, well not everyone uses it or Greyhole. Plus you have to put in some local info that the script which is not the same for everyone. So, that might not be the best approach.

As I stated, the disk mount is very complicated. We are working it, but gonna take some time as its harder to code and implement that one might think. Hopefully we will get it in time.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:32 pm

As for the mount local shares being installed and started automatically, well not everyone uses it or Greyhole.
I think if people use it or not is irrelevant. In WHS it has always been available by default and this has never bothered anyone. Meanwhile, it has made things slick and easy for everyone who does need it. ;)

But if you really want, just add a toggle in the gui to enable/disable it... and there you can also ask for extra options input if you need it.
Plus you have to put in some local info that the script which is not the same for everyone. So, that might not be the best approach.
That's another problem with Amahi right there.

WHS installs everything in the same way for everyone and everyone is happy with the way it is, even the advanced users and users with more than 30 terrabytes storages.

This shows that the Amahi base was badly designed from the start. You guys should imho look at this again.

Look: when I installed my system I had (this is the defautls Amahi gave me):

- /var/hda/files and /var/hda/drives -> so I have /var/hda/drives/driveN

But I see on the forums other people having /var/hda/files/drives/driveN.

That's nonsense. Remove the nonsense. Have a proper default and then make it automatic for everyone. That's how WHS works and it has never bothered anyone. It just works. That's the magic. ;)

And the people who don't want to follow the default, it won't be automatic for them. As it is now. No problem there.
As I stated, the disk mount is very complicated. We are working it, but gonna take some time as its harder to code and implement that one might think. Hopefully we will get it in time.
Yes of course.

Many thanks.

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:41 pm

I appreciate your opinion. Stating Amahi is badly designed is a bit harsh. You need to know the history behind Amahi. Greyhole was added and not part of the original design. If it had been, I am confident things would have been different.

Things will evolve over time. Unfortunately it is a slow process with only one developer. We hope to make the install simpler and more standard. Our goal is to make the user experience better, especially for the Linux newbies.

Do you have the skills to help? We can always use it :)
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

bigmango

Postby bigmango » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:11 am

I appreciate your opinion. Stating Amahi is badly designed is a bit harsh. You need to know the history behind Amahi. Greyhole was added and not part of the original design. If it had been, I am confident things would have been different.
Yes, sorry for this, it was badly worded.

And of course, if greyhole was added later on it explains a lot. :)
Things will evolve over time. Unfortunately it is a slow process with only one developer. We hope to make the install simpler and more standard. Our goal is to make the user experience better, especially for the Linux newbies.

Do you have the skills to help? We can always use it :)
I have too much work unfortunately; just enough free time to get Amahi to work as I want and then there's the family and everything else :)