Ampache not indexing music properly

wendigo

Ampache not indexing music properly

Postby wendigo » Sun May 22, 2011 8:14 am

Hi guys,

I have a few problems with my Ampache setup. Maybe it's because I'm real noob in Amahi and Linux at all...

1. The less serious one - I have similar problem as here - however there is no /hda/files/Music folder in my setup at all, because I have my music on a secondary hdd... Ampache doesn't accept my locally mounted share /mnt/samba/Music as a Catalog either. So, as a workaround, I just entered direct path to the files /var/hda/files/drives/drive3/musica (not using Greyhole currently) and it seemed to work, until I found problem 2:

2. Ampache is just indexing minor part of my music collection, which is whole stored in the aforementioned folder. The /var/hda/files/drives/drive3/musica of course contains another set of subfolders by genres - Folk, Rock, Metal (some of them subdivided in A, B, C... folders) etc. and also a Temp folder with the music I hadn't "catalogized" in the genre subdirs yet. Anyway, Ampache indexes most of the Temp folder and ignores almost all other subfolders. I removed the "All music" catalog and created only the "Metal scene" catalog of one of the subdirs, but it somehow froze as well - browsing through Artist reveals the indexing went (mostly) well untill leter K (there's about 300 artists A-K) and then just like 30 artists for L-Z, which is nonsense.

My HDA processor is about 99,5 % loaded with user "apache" command "httpd" (this is what "top" command said) for more than 6 hours but there are no new artists appearing in the catalog...

Anyone experienced this too? How to fix it please?
HDA: HP Microserver

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Ampache not indexing music properly

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon May 23, 2011 5:08 am

You might consider checking their forums. It is possible there is a bug in the application.

You can create a share in the dashboard called music to point to that location. I believe there is an option in Ampache to change the path of the music files as well. Can't remember the location, but I am sure their documentation will provide guidance.

Check permissions of your files for the second issue. Ensure all files are owned by your user. They should also be read/writable as well.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

livesonwater2632

Postby livesonwater2632 » Mon May 23, 2011 11:27 am

Is your music properly tagged? If it isn't I would recommend doing that first. Every problem that I have had so far with Ampache was because of a corrupt tag. If you haven't already checked out the Ampache Wiki, here is a link to the catalog specific settings and suggestions for troubleshooting http://ampache.org/wiki/install:catalog. Either way, I would enable logging to see where the catalog build is failing.

andypeters

Postby andypeters » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:49 am

I had a similar problem. I'm also new to amahi, and linux, but after reading the troubleshooting instructions on the wiki, i sorted out my issue.

radioz

Postby radioz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:54 am

Could you share what you did so others might learn?

Thanks

stern88

Postby stern88 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:00 am

solved this problem:

Amapches module getid3() cant read tags from broken mp3s:

http://ampache.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2926

you can repair this with mp3val:

##wget source from sourceforge
http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/index.shtml
##ready?
yum install gcc gcc-c++ make
##make
make -f Makefile.linux
sudo mv mp3val /usr/local/bin/
cd ~/Music
find /var/hda/files/music/ -name *mp3 -exec mp3val -f {} \;

Mybe its worth to mention that in the wiki...

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:26 pm

Good idea. Would you mind adding it? We would greatly appreciate it :D
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2