general ampache setup question

retinalcircus

general ampache setup question

Postby retinalcircus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:01 pm

Hello and thanks in advance for any help.

Ampache is not seeing my music or video files. Is there a general guide to ampache setup under Amahi? I've spent hours googling and looking and I can't find one. The Ampache site does not make sense to me.

I've tried editing the conf file to fix any permissions issues. I have attempted to set up ACLs and Catalogs. No luck yet.

Anyone know any good links I could pursue for info? Thanks!

retinal

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: general ampache setup question

Postby bigfoot65 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:22 am

Ampache is set by default to see your music in /var/hda/files/music folder. If you want to change that, I believe you can via the web app.

It could be a permissions issue. All folders for music should be owned by you and permissions at 775.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

livesonwater2632

Postby livesonwater2632 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:31 am

Can you log in to the web interface successfully? You might want to run a catalog update on the catalog that was added during the install. If that doesn't work, try removing the catalog then re-adding it. What steps did you take to attempt to set up ACLs and adding catalogs?

Andrew

retinalcircus

Postby retinalcircus » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:52 pm

thank you for your quick replies, Bigfoot and livesonwater. I set the permissions to 775, Bigfoot, but still no files in show in catalog. how do i make sure i "own" the files?

livesonwater, I can not browse to my ampache web interface, only see it thru HDA interface. the catalogs are indeed set to var/hda/files/music. i cannot remember the steps i took in setting up catalogs and ACLs, so i tried uninstalling and re-installing ampache, but it "remembered" my previous settings!

when i deleted the catalogs and tried to make new ones i got lists of errors on all music and movies: either "unable to get file size" or "is not readable"

i'm stumped. any ideas? thanks again.
Last edited by retinalcircus on Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retinalcircus

Postby retinalcircus » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Bigfoot, you were right! Once I changed my permissions

chmod 775 /var/hda/files/music
chmod 775 /var/hda/files/music/*

and changed ownership

cd /var/hda/files/
chown -R bill *

(all while logged in as root in terminal- "su" and then enter root password- "bill" is the user)

it only worked after i went to the files folder, right clicked on it, opened preferences, permissions tab showed me as owner, click apply to all files inside-

i was able to build catalogs of my media!

now i could use some tips on figuring out how to connect to ampache from the web... I'll keep googling but I'm quite lost at the moment

thank you!

livesonwater2632

Postby livesonwater2632 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:02 pm

At first I used my dynamic DNS address that Amahi provides to get to ampache. Then the web apps proxy app came out. So I got a free dynamic DNS address from dyndns.org. My router currently updates the address from my isp but I am pretty sure you can do it from your server. Either way, you definitely want to read about ACLs and transcoding on ampache's wiki. It is a little unclear, you just need to make sure you have the right packages installed. Pretty much the only way I actually connect to ampache is from my smartphone, so if you have one or an ipod touch, I would check that out if you haven't yet.