Webmin does not start

NeverSimple

Webmin does not start

Postby NeverSimple » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi all,

Lately when trying to start webmin (which I installed as an Amahi app) I get this:
Warning! Webmin has detected that the program http://localhost:10000/right.cgi?open=s ... pen=status was linked to from the URL http://webmin.mydomain.home/, which appears to be outside the Webmin server. This may be an attempt to trick your server into executing a dangerous command.

If this is a legitimate link, you can allow links from this URL as follows :
Login to Webmin normally.
Go to the Webmin Configuration module.
Click on the Trusted Referrers icon.
Enter the hostname localhost into the Trusted websites field, and click Save.

Alternately, you can configure Webmin to allow this link from the command line by :
Login as root, and edit the /etc/webmin/config file.
Add the line referers=localhost at the end, or if a referers line already exists add localhost to it.
Save the file.
Of course, I did what I was told (...) and modified the webmin config file. didn't work . I restarted, stopped, started the webmin service: didn't work
I can login if I use http://192.168.2.10:10000 (the ip address is obviously the address of the Amahi server)

If I understand the warning(URL outside the webmin server), the advice (add localhost) seems strange.
I think this is an Amahi issue, not an webmin one because there seems to be a problem with the dns entry used for accessing the webmin server.

I could be that this problem started after a power failure. The server itself restarted and seems to work normally, but webmin did not start. I had to start the service manually. (service webmin start)

I've searched this forum and found that 'moredruid' is a BIG webmin fan :lol: . So he is probably the one to answer this ?? :mrgreen:

Richard

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Webmin does not start

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:55 pm

Hello,

There are 2 things to try. Once, edit the config file as you did before. The referers should be set to webmin and webmin.yourdomain. Remove localhost and only enter these two.

refererers=webmin webmin.home.com

(i.e. if it's home.com then it would be webmin.home.com)

The other option is to remove the app and reinstall. If you do so, ensure the /etc/webmin directory is removed before installing the app again.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

NeverSimple

Postby NeverSimple » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:43 am

Hello,

There are 2 things to try. Once, edit the config file as you did before. The referers should be set to webmin and webmin.yourdomain. Remove localhost and only enter these two.

refererers=webmin webmin.home.com

(i.e. if it's home.com then it would be webmin.home.com)
Okay, little extra info:

I removed the 'localhost' entry and the 'referers' line is back to the way it was:

Code: Select all

referers=webmin webmin.$domain
I assume that $domain is an environment variable but if i ask "echo $domain" I get nothing. "env" also doesn't show it. Should this have been expanded to the real domain name at the time the config file was made?

If I replace the '$domain' part with my real domain name Webmin seems to work. (it skips the login, but that's probably normal behaviour)
Please let us know how it goes.
here ya go..

Richard

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:22 am

Ok...the $domain part was fixed in the last update. I take it you just made the change and did not uninstall/reinstall. If you do a reinstall, it should be correctly reflected as your domain.

If you did not have to login, then that could be because your browser cache is still showing you logged in. I have had this happen in the past with apps.

Glad it is now working and sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

NeverSimple

Postby NeverSimple » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:58 am

Hello 'Bigfoot65',

No, I didn't uninstall/reinstall the app. Sometimes I'm just curious why things happen (and sometimes I'm not..). But after your answer I decided to uninstall the current app version (1.510) and install the new one (1.520).

Now I'm getting the same warning as before :? only now it's telling me to add 'hda' to the 'referers' line. This how the line is now:

Code: Select all

referers=webmin webmin.home.com
home.com is not my domain name.

Well, I now know how to fix this :geek:, but just thought you wanted to know..

Richard