Citadel

nemolomen

Citadel

Postby nemolomen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:15 am

It's time to upgrade our HDA from F10 (yes I know I'm way behind) and I'm looking for a groupware solution with email. I'm not looking for internet email for everyone in the house, just local. Been reading a lot about email servers, postfix, dovecot, MX records, MTAs, MDAs, etc... I understand now why Amahi does not have a mail server yet. :)

Has anyone tried installing Citadel (http://www.citadel.org) on their Amahi box?
nemolomen

My HDA (3rd): ECS A770M-A, Phenom X3 2.4 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 800MHz, / 40 GB, /home 80 GB, data 1TB, 500GB, 320GB

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Citadel

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Hello,

I have not tried Citadel, but we do have Horde (http://www.amahi.org/apps/horde)as an Amahi App. There are a few groupware suites available in Amahi and in testing that may fit your needs.

Take a look at the upcoming applications listed on http://www.amahi.org/apps/upcoming.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

nemolomen

Postby nemolomen » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:33 pm

Hi bigfoot65,

I already have Horde installed but it lacks email. I have been looking into what it would take to get the Webmail edition of Horde installed. Basically it would take a fully configured email server and I'm not sure I'm ready to go there yet. In my quest I ran across Citadel, which claims to be an "all-in-one" solution that is installed from source. I just don't know if it will play nice with Amahi.

BTW: none of the other apps in the "upcoming" section are even close to what Horde offers. That was the first place I looked.

If I try Citadel, I'll report back. If I go the route of creating a fully configured mail server, I'll report that too.

Thanks,
nemolomen

My HDA (3rd): ECS A770M-A, Phenom X3 2.4 GHz, 2 GB DDR2 800MHz, / 40 GB, /home 80 GB, data 1TB, 500GB, 320GB

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:43 pm

Glad to hear you explored the other options. We do have a mail server in testing. It is installed via script as root user. If you would like to try it, please send me a private message with your Amahi id and I will be glad to give you access.

It also uses Squirrel Mail as the web mail front end. You can read about it at http://www.amahi.org/apps/amahi-mail-system.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

nemolomen

Re: Citadel or other mail/calendar server

Postby nemolomen » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:29 am

I forgot to mention that my HDA already has some limited mail server capability. Namely, I'm using getmail to retrieve mail from the pop3 mailbox at my ISP and storing it in my /home folder in Maildir format. I'm also running the dovecot imap server which allows me to get my mail from any PC in the house using a mail client.

I have also implemented SSL and punched a hole in my firewall to allow me to get my home email on my Blackberry.

My wife and I share an email account and we both have Blackberry's, so this works out well for us.

However, we're ready for the next step. I'd like to have some way of communicating with our 13 year old son that, for various reasons, doesn't involve either instant messaging or phone. I also don't want to give him his own email address just yet.

We also have a grown-up daughter and her two sons living with us for the foreseeable future.

We all have different schedules and a wall calendar doesn't really cut it for scheduling for 6 people, and it's not mobile. So I thought that it would be nice to be able to have a "groupware" like set of functionality for group calendaring and sending messages between user accounts on the HDA.

Is this the right forum for discussing the specifics of implementing the "Amahi Mail Server"? I'd like to be part of that project and contribute however I can. I have lots of questions for you.
nemolomen

mciv

Postby mciv » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:40 pm

I haven't attempted it but would Zimbra be an option?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 am

We have looked at Zimbra, but not worked with it extensively. The last experience I had with it was how resource intensive it was on my system. At the time I was running Ubuntu, but it pretty much required total control of the system.

When we find out more, we will pass it on to users. In the mean time, if you wanna try it and report results here that would be great!
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

lou1z

Postby lou1z » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:23 pm

if mail is going to be implemented, i would hope a spam and antivirus solution will be implemented also eg spamassasin & clamav.
just to give you an idea, one of my companies had 25,000 emails last week and 24,000 of them were spam!