Release schedule and support

quesst

Release schedule and support

Postby quesst » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:22 am

Hello everybody

I'm not closely following the Amahi development. Nevertheless, I would still be interested in having an overview on
  • 1. How long does the support last for which version?
  • 2. Which version is developed for which OS?
  • 3. What are the main advancments of a new version?
  • 4. When is the release of the next version scheduled (season and year would be enough)?
I thought of something like a table similar to http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu#Versionstabelle (german). I think this would be of help for the users in order to plan updates of their own system.

Thank you for considering.
quesst

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Re: Release schedule and support

Postby bigfoot65 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:25 am

Thanks for the suggestion. This is something that is not easy to do for us. With our limited resources, it just depends on availability of time as to when we develope Amahi for new OS versions.

We typically make announcements when we are considering/start work via Facebook and Twitter. For now that is the best we can do.

The support for versions is only why it's the current stable release, such as Fedora 19. All over versions are considered in maintenance mode. That means if there is something that breaks Amahi due to OS updates, we will address it. Other than that, we typically do not update or release any apps for versions in that status.

As for what is new when we release a version, that is announced as well. Mostly through the same method as mentioned earlier. If you are one who surfs the forums, but not Facebook or Twitter then you might miss it.

We feel adding this sort of info you mentioned to the FAQ on the web site is best. This is something we will work on as time permits.

Hopefully that will help satisfy your request.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:42 pm

Good answers. We do not have a release or product manager yet (interested? ;-) )

Here is a little more, not as concrete as we would like, but hopefully it helps. The first two below we had added to the FAQ

-----------------
Q: How long does the support last for which version?

A: We try to support the system for a long time. Many of our users run Amahi for years in a row. We care about continuous reliable operation.

This is our typical release cycle. When we make a new release, the previous release goes into "maintenance mode". That means we do not typically do any more major or minor releases to the platform or other packages, unless there is a security update that really could compromise user's systems. This is rare in our experience (only once in a few years). We will be in this mode for one or two years, until the base OS reaches its end-of-life.

App updates may trickle down for a release in maintenance mode and slowly taper over months until our entire focus for apps is in the latest release.
-----------------
Q: Which version is developed for which OS?

A: We release on our own cycle, updating the platform periodically. For OSs, we try to alternate one Ubuntu LTS release and one Fedora release.
-----------------
Q: What are the main advancments of a new version?

A (not in the faq): we are trying to make the platform smaller and smaller over time and make the rest of the functionality into plugins or apps (or themes).
-----------------
Q: Next release
A (not in que faq): Amahi 7.2 with plugin updates (the main reason being a Greyhole UI). The next is Amahi 8, with target in May/June 2014 or so, based on Ubuntu 14.04LTS.
-----------------

Does this help?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

quesst

Postby quesst » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Product Manager sounds cool... YET my plans currently point in another direction. I wouldn't be able to meet my own expectations. Therefore, thanks for the offer but I don't have the time to do it right.

Thanks those answers were exactly was I was looking for. I guessed most of your answers when I wrote the questions - but it's cool to have them written down.

tpcmserver

Postby tpcmserver » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:06 am

We do not have a release or product manager yet (interested? ;-) )
Bigfoot, have you found a product manager yet?

Can you sumarize the "job description"?

bigfoot65
Project Manager

Postby bigfoot65 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:26 am

Recommend you email support. Sorry, I don't have the specifics, but cpg should be able to provide more detail.
ßîgƒσστ65
Applications Manager

My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 16GB RAM, 1TBx1+2TBx2+4TBx2

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:05 pm

Hi, no we do not have a product manager. So we prioritize based on load, availability, size of the features, etc.
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

tpcmserver

Postby tpcmserver » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:23 pm

But do you need one? (still)

I'm asking because, perhaps, I can help.

What I don't know is what you expect from a "Product Manager (so I ask for job description)

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:03 pm

Sounds great :)

I would think this is a good description:
  • ability to weigh priorities based on multiple poorly-defined constraints
  • can communicate effectively with the team and community
  • can communicate relatively often about the state of things (irc presence is valuable for this)
  • can manage the bug tracker, set priorities daily, focus the team
  • lead the way in compromising, focusing, having a can-do positive attitude
  • garner feature requests from the community leads, team and even research competitiors
there's probably a few more things, but that will give you an idea :)

tpcmserver

Postby tpcmserver » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:34 am

I see. I'm interested.

If it sounds great to you, let's take this conversation to the next level... :idea:

Perhaps you can PM me.