Install Amahi on HP Mediasmart server?

gstaver

Install Amahi on HP Mediasmart server?

Postby gstaver » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:39 pm

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use Amahi to replace Windows Home Server on an HP Mediasmart Server? I have an EX485 and it is a headless system. I would really like to see Amahi on this unit. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

repat

Re: Install Amahi on HP Mediasmart server?

Postby repat » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:32 am

Sounds like a cool project! I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet. If you can boot to CD, you can use the Express CD http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Express_CD for a headless install. And it would be great if you could document your experience in the Wiki.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

Pat

gstaver

Postby gstaver » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:56 pm

Is there any way to script the install? Currently the EX485 has no VGA or keyboard or mouse ports. So the install will have to be done via an automated script or something like that. I do have the option if purchasing a debug board for this unit which would allow me to follow along with the install. Any ideas on scripting?

whetu

Postby whetu » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Hey dude,
the solution should be along the same lines as this, let me know if you get stuck :)

gstaver

Postby gstaver » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:38 pm

I read that about a week ago. The problem is it appears that you still have to have a keyboard and a monitor connected to it. The EX485 does not have a keyboard or video port.

whetu

Postby whetu » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:50 pm

Ah, I see. Well, see... the thing is... I didn't actually install Amahi directly onto the Acer box. And another thing, provided you have USB ports, you don't need a keyboard and/or mouse port. PS/2 ports belong in a museum :)

So the very important line in my blog post reads:
First, I removed the boot drive and chucked it into a spare box, an Iwill XP4 Evo with a SATA card.
One of the advantages of Linux is that provided the architecture is the same, you can pretty much move the boot drive from pc to pc and it's no big drama. This isn't the case with Windows where the HAL will tend to implode.

The only big caveat, then, is the network interface. When you install on another box, "eth0" will be assigned to the mac address of whatever's in the temporary box. I provide to-be-sure instructions on how to sort that out.

Then there's little things like the hard drive lights and such that need to be done to finish off the install, trust me - it looks a lot harder than it really is.

The reason I needed to eventually hook up VGA and USB keyboard was because of my own stupid fault - I thought I'd jumpered the debug jumper but I'd actually jumpered the CMOS. FAIL. :lol: This set the BIOS date back to something like 2007, Fedora was complaining about file timestamps being way out of whack and it was subsequently demanding a fsck, so that part of the blog can be basically ignored. I'm going through the post and clarifying bits here and there, so I'll add the above admission sooner or later.

I would still recommend that you eventually get the debug board though, sometimes it's just plain easier to get direct access...

kulugo04

Postby kulugo04 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:04 am

gstaber

not sure if you seen this before, hope this helps. i'm planning to convert mine as well.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/ ... f=6&t=8066

yagodajm

Postby yagodajm » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Hello all,
Hope I can get some help with this. So i made the move to Amahi on my HP server 487. All seems to working fine, I used the code on the link provided, it worked, but when my server rebooted, everything went back tot he way it was with the lights. Is there anyway to keep the code on the server for the lights?

Thanks Justin

kulugo04

Postby kulugo04 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:15 am

Hello all,
Hope I can get some help with this. So i made the move to Amahi on my HP server 487. All seems to working fine, I used the code on the link provided, it worked, but when my server rebooted, everything went back tot he way it was with the lights. Is there anyway to keep the code on the server for the lights?
Justin

I have not read the whole thread yet for below link, but I saved this link because I'm planning to switch to Amahi someday, and I might have to create my own driver for my EX485. Good luck.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/ ... 485#p64545

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey, someone in Facebook is looking for a guide on how to install Amahi on a Mediasmart device. I know I saw a guide at some point, but I cannot seem to find it.

Anyone remember the link?
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1