Amahi Express CD sends me to terminal

originalsurfmex

Amahi Express CD sends me to terminal

Postby originalsurfmex » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:44 pm

as soon as i install using all the defaults it tells me to reboot, then dumps me into the terminal after rebooting. i can logon using root and the password i setup in the installation. however i have no non-root user, and no way to get into http://localhost:2000 without X? or is there another way to continue the installer process, i know its not done.

i tried the installation troubleshooting wiki, but that didnt help.

cale250

Re: Amahi Express CD sends me to terminal

Postby cale250 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:55 pm

The express is designed to run headless, which is why you're dumped at a terminal. If everything worked correctly (which it should've, since it rebooted), try logging in to your hda by accessing the hda's IP address. Once you're done with that, disable your router's DHCP, reboot everything in the network, and you can access it via http://hda. If you want to install a GUI, look for the GNOME desktop app in the dashboard. ;)

originalsurfmex

Postby originalsurfmex » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:39 am

the thing is that i wasnt asked any hda questions during the install, it just installed all the amahi packages. im not sure what commands to use from the terminal to get this going. i did set up the hda ip and stuff from amahi.org, i just don't know how to finish setting things up now.

i do want to avoid installing a gui if possible...i just kinda need a step by step on what to do once i reboot and end up at the terminal.

thanks for your patience, im not a comman-line noob, but i am pretty new to this network stuff.

also, at the beginning of my installation it asked for kickstarter...it couldnt find it so i went on without it.

matt531320

Postby matt531320 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:24 pm

You don't need to do anything :-D. Once it's boot up, just leave it the way it is. You don't need to login, and you could just unplug the monitor, mouse, keyboard, and all of your other peripherals all together if you wished. Amahi (when installed with the Express CD) is meant to be used via a web browser. To access, your HDA, either access it by typing http://hda/ in a web browser (as cale said) , but if that doesn't work, here's what you'll have to do:

1. Go onto you HDA (Amahi Server), login using the username "Root" and your password.
2. On the Command Line/Terminal type in:

Code: Select all

ifconfig -a
3. Look for something like this in the ouput:

eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0F:20:CF:8B:42 inet addr:217.149.127.10 Bcast:217.149.127.63 Mask:255.255.255.192 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1 RX packets:2472694671 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0 TX packets:44641779 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0 collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 RX bytes:1761467179 (1679.8 Mb) TX bytes:2870928587 (2737.9 Mb) Interrupt:28
4. In that, find:

inet addr: *some numbers (i.e. 217.149.127.10)*
5. The numbers after the internet address (inet addr) is the servers IP adress. What you can do with that is type it in as a web address in your web browser, and access your HDA (the default user/password combination is admin/admin).

Let me know if this helps!

originalsurfmex

Postby originalsurfmex » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:00 pm

thanks very much, even when i logged in there was no connection to the network, i did ifconfig and it wasnt connected!

i had to do
ifconfig eth0 up
dhclient eth0
ifconfig -a

and then i got a number, but even with that number i could not connect to the machine. i installed via usb as per the recommendations on this forum and the fedora forum...maybe that was the problem. i have no cd-rom drive on the machine i wanted to go headless with...i am going to install fedora 12 via usb and then amahi. oh well, too bad.