HELP, I lost all my data while installing amahi.

tofrouh57

Postby tofrouh57 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:34 am

Hardware:
- 1 server
- sda: 20 Gb for system IDE
- sdb: 1,5 Tb SATA EXT3 for data
- sdb: 500 Gb IDE EXT3 for data

History:
I installed fedora 12 and amahi on sda in order to get a brand new fully funtional home server. By the way, nice job and system your are provinding us. Thank…
After the installation, I wanted to acces my data on sdb and sdc and noticed that these disks are now empty and belonging to a huge volume (LVM) of 2Tb.

And now the question: is there a way to get my data back?
Does anybody know if there are tools to "unformat" the disks belonging to a volume and get the former ext3 partitions back?

Some help would be really, really appreciated at this stage.

Thank you all in advance for helping me.

Christophe.

jOOc

Re: HELP, I lost all my data while installing amahi.

Postby jOOc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:42 am

Hardware:
- 1 server
- sda: 20 Gb for system IDE
- sdb: 1,5 Tb SATA EXT3 for data
- sdb: 500 Gb IDE EXT3 for data

History:
I installed fedora 12 and amahi on sda in order to get a brand new fully funtional home server. By the way, nice job and system your are provinding us. Thank…
After the installation, I wanted to acces my data on sdb and sdc and noticed that these disks are now empty and belonging to a huge volume (LVM) of 2Tb.

And now the question: is there a way to get my data back?
Does anybody know if there are tools to "unformat" the disks belonging to a volume and get the former ext3 partitions back?

Some help would be really, really appreciated at this stage.

Thank you all in advance for helping me.

Christophe.
You should try Testdisk. I formatted one of my NTFS disks to ext4 and then formated it again (Tired :lol: ). Testdisk got all my data back... phew...

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:16 am

wow. sorry to hear about that. you have to be careful with this stuff while installing. It would seem to be that you formatted them as an LVM volume!?!

*if* they were not formatted by any chance, i would try mounting them read-only on another linux disk as ext3.

otherwise, that testdisk link seems interesting!
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1

tofrouh57

Postby tofrouh57 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:03 am

Hi *,

I managed to recover my lost data.

I first tried to use testdisk in order to find a deleted partition. This did not work. Testdisk was able to find a linux partition but was not able to find the files.
Then I tried to recover the data using photorec. This tool found some avi and ORF (Olympus raw pictures) but the files were corrupted.
So I did the following:
Using testdisk I changed the partition type of my harddisk from LVM to Linux and wrote the changes to the disk.
Also using testdisk I found backup locations of the superblock on the disk.
Then, using fsck.ext -b xxx -B xxx I told the system to use a backup superblock.

Result is that I have again all the lost data in the lost+found directory of the disk. The only missing thing is file and directory names of the first level within lost+found.

So the tip to use testdisk was really usefull.

Thanx for you help.

Christophe.

cpg
Administrator

Postby cpg » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:39 am

very impressive, and very fortunate! congratulations!

now you are an expert on data recovery! :D
My HDA: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz on MSI board, 8GB RAM, 1TBx2+3TBx1