CLOSED: Amahi Energy Saver

karlbonde

Re: Amahi Energy Saver

Postby karlbonde » Sun May 29, 2011 1:51 pm

That worked!! Thanks so much!

paurey

Postby paurey » Tue May 31, 2011 12:50 pm

Thankd jayrock! now it seems to be working OK.
Cheers

sc4s2cg

Postby sc4s2cg » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:30 am

Just a quick question:

Will the DHCP server be running if the energy saver suspends the server?

Reason I ask: I'm very interested in suspending the server overnight, when it is not in use, however since it needs WOL to turn on again, I need to install the windows client to wake it up. However if I turn my PC on, there's no DHCP to tell it where the server is, etc. since the router DHCP is off.

Also, if it does WOL despite DHCP, do I have to reboot the PC after WOL to get an IP from HDA?

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:24 am

Hello sc4s2cg

if you have your DHCP running on HDA, it will indeed be unavailable if your HDA suspends.

Fortunately WOL is based on MAC addresses meaning that if the old IP address of the PC should be sufficient. It depends on OS as well as on the LAN HW you are using on client. Just try it!

Another way around this is to defined fixed wake periods around the time you start your client. If e.g. you typically start the client at 8:00, you can have the server automatically turn on at e.g 7:30.

A third way is to not use the HDA's inbuild DHCP but for instance the one of the network router, if available.

Hope this helps

Cheers

jayrock

rjwaldren

Postby rjwaldren » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:43 pm

Jayrock,

Just wanted to give a kudo's. I finally played with the latest release last night.

It was necessary to cd into the installer dir to run the script. The wiki should be updated.

Code: Select all

cd installfiles ./aes-install
And the edit to /usr/share/aes-app/app/models/monitoredhost.rb was required.

/put'aes-monitoredhosts does not exist'/puts 'aes-monitoredhosts does not exist'/
Rebooted and configured at http://hda:6500. It started working with without a hitch.
Amahi 6.1 x86_64 ExpressCD - Intel D510MO, 2GB, Promise TX300
1x 500GB 2.5" WD Black (OS and LZ). Pool: 1x 1.5TB Samsung F2, 1x 1.5TB Samsung F3, 1x 2TB Samsung F4EG
Apps: uShare, uTorrent, Amahi Energy Saver

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:52 am

Hi all,

thanks for testing and taking up with the bugs! I uploaded a fixed version to Google code which addresses the problem that karlbonde first reported. See here
http://amahienergysaver.googlecode.com/ ... .2b.tar.gz

To install, go to the extract directory and run

cd installfiles ./aes-install
On a side node, the move the one-click-installation shows good progress. Soon console interaction and Linux knowledge will no longer be required to install Amahi Energy Saver!

Cheers

jayrock

paurey

Postby paurey » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Hi again,

I know this is not directly related with AES, it seems to be working OK, but where do i look for help if Fedora 14 does not wake up from the S3/S1 state...(I tried both in AES and BIOS).My gigabyte ga-d525tud doesn't want to wake up when AES starts saving the planet!

amahivirtual

Postby amahivirtual » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:47 am

Hi jayrock,

kudos to you for engineering AES - Thank you!

Yesterday, I installed aes-0.8.2b on a fresh Amahi 6.1/Fedora14 installation and it worked like a charm according to http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Amahi_E ... tial_setup . Besides that, the calendar integration worked painless. I could manage the entries in the aes calendar from my MacOSX client with iCal. However, there is one point where I think I do not fully understand how it should work with the events I place in the aes calendar. So I would like to ask some question on constructing events in iCal or a similar calendaring client:

A. Do I have to use special event names like "wake up" or "stay awake"?
B. How do I define an event, where the HDA should just wake up.
C. How do I make an event, where the HDA should wake up at a defined time and stay awake for 5 hours, no matter what.
D. How do I make an event, where the HDA should wake up at a defined time and stay awake for at least 5 hours, no matter what.
E. How do I make an event, where the HDA should wake up at a defined time and stay awake for 2 hours and suspend after this period of time, no matter what.
F. How would I define an event where the HDA should turn off, no matter what.

Thanks for your help in advance in clarifying my possible misconceptions.

Regards,

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:40 am

Hi paurey,

how do you want to wake your HDA? Please check that your board actually supports that kind of wakeup. Unfortunately, some boards do not support timer based wake-up and/or WOL.

Referring to WOL check this wiki page: http://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Enabling_WOL

/jayrock

jayrock

Postby jayrock » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:55 am

Hi amahivirtual,

thanks for the feedback! Good to see that someone is acutally using the calendar function!

The key to the calendar functions is that it only defines when your HDA is awake but not when it is off. It does not allow to force suspend or shutdown of your HDA. In fact this would be quite risky - there are more criteria to be met before Amahi Energy Saver decides to suspend your machine.

To your individual questions:
A. Do I have to use special event names like "wake up" or "stay awake"?
No, the name does not matter.
B. How do I define an event, where the HDA should just wake up.
Say you want your HDA to wake up at 10 am, just define an event from 10:00 - 10:01.
C. How do I make an event, where the HDA should wake up at a defined time and stay awake for 5 hours, no matter what.
See response to D.
D. How do I make an event, where the HDA should wake up at a defined time and stay awake for at least 5 hours, no matter what.
Say you want your HDA to wake up at 10 am and stay awake for at least 5 hours, just define an event from 10:00 - 15:00. After 15:00, your HDA goes to suspend if no other criteria for staying awake are fulfilled. Such criteria can be active and monitored hosts, open files or active Squeezeboxes.
E. How do I make an event, where the HDA should wake up at a defined time and stay awake for 2 hours and suspend after this period of time, no matter what.
See response to F.
F. How would I define an event where the HDA should turn off, no matter what.
I have not implemented a function to force suspend or shutdown of your HDA via calendar, see above. There is to high risk that your machine shuts down even though e.g. files are open, which may lead to corrupted files.

You can also have a look at the log files, here you can see e.g. why AES keeps your HDA alive.

I hope this clarifies the calendar implementation. Please let me know if you have any further questions or suggestions.

Regards,
jayrock